Lexie's Reviews > Empowered Volume 10

Empowered Volume 10 by Adam Warren

May 12, 2017

bookshelves: gns-owned-read

:cracks knuckles: ok let's do this kids.

Briefly, if you don't know EMPOWERED, it's a comic about a highly insecure semi-competent Suprachicka and her attempts to juggle life, love and respect as a hostage prone damsel. Thugboy is her ex-minion boyfriend, Ninjette is her best friend and you can ignore the cosmic belt (or try to, he's verbose as f*ck).

Due to recent events it finally seems like Emp will receive the respect she deserves and that's great! Too bad the douchecapes and douchevillains still see her as just bondage bait.

This volume, which ends on a f*cking cliffhanger that BROKE MY HEART, is kind of a reckoning of sorts for Emp. She gets her hard earned recognition but it puts distance between her and her loved ones. 'Jette feels like a third wheel to Emp's popularity and Thugboy feels useless and a tad bit unappreciated for who he is.

This series, despite the fan service people LOVE to point out to me (f*ck y'all, if T&A bothers you fine but don't assume it'll bother me when the actual content is this deserving and worthwhile), Emp is a relatable heroine crafted from a different cloth. She's not size 4, she's not perfect, she doesn't always do the right thing or say the right thing, but her heart is always there.

This was definitely a build up volume - a couple minor villains, some orientation with her promotion and a whole lot of discussion about the right reasons to be with someone. All of which lead into an ending that had me super anxious. I had to (digitally, since I read this digitally) flip and reread/stare at about four pages of panels before it sunknin what the frak was happening.

Volume 11 is due out later this year - which as the ending panels note it's been a long time since more than one volume came out in a year - and I sort of need some authorial reassurances about that ending? Because I'm a little scared what it means considering (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empowered Volume 10.

March 20, 2017 – Shelved
March 20, 2017 – Shelved as: wishlist-to-buy-gn
May 12, 2017 – Started Reading
May 12, 2017 –
page 96
"I will literally fight ANYONE who disparages my precious baby Emp ok? LIKE FIST FIGHT TO THE DEATH FIGHT anyone."
May 13, 2017 – Finished Reading