Celeste's Reviews > Kings of the Wyld

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, funny

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Man, this was so much fun!!

First of all, I love classic rock. Like, a lot. Seriously, the soundtrack of my childhood consisted largely of Queen, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, and other bands of their ilk. Saturday mornings are still meant for “Your Love” by The Outfield and “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield.

So, when my friends started gushing about a fantasy novel filled with musical references from one of my favorite eras, and promising that it was funny to boot, I added it to my list. But something else always seemed to grab my attention, and it stayed unread on my list for months. That is, until my lovely friend Petrik sent me a copy as a surprise early Christmas gift. With my very own copy in hand, I finally cracked KotW open. And I’m so glad that I did!

I don’t know that I have ever described a book as “rollicking” but this one definitely was. "What if mercenaries were treated like the rock bands of the fantasy world?" is basically the best jumping off point for any book ever. The use of music industry terms, like headliner and touring and booker and frontman, were all really fun additions. I’m in a band, so seeing a band equivalent in a fantasy setting was exciting and incredibly entertaining for me. Also, I loved all of the band and song references. I know there’s no way I caught them all, but any time I did catch one I was messaging friends with cyber squeals of joy. I’ll refrain from giving any away, because the search for musical Easter eggs is half the fun!

And the music references weren’t the only ones Eames included. Video games and and movies and classic fantasy novels were all referenced, as well. Here’s my favorite, a reference to The Hobbit:
“The place was a hovel, but not the cozy hovel of the sort inhabited by poets and scribes, crammed with bookshelves, candles, and antique curios. Nor was it the sparse kind of hovel, occupied by little more than a ragged blanket and a straw-stuffed mattress: It was a kubold’s hovel, and that meant shithole.”

I genuinely busted out laughing when I read that paragraph, and it makes me smile every time I remember it. There are so many lines like that in this book. But there was also depth here, lines that actually made me stop and think, which stood out all the more because of the predominant humor throughout the majority of the book. For example:
“But what does a mirror know? What can it show us of ourselves? Oh, it might reveal a few scars, and perhaps a glimpse—there, in the eyes—of our true nature. The spirit beneath the skin. Yet the deepest scars are often hidden, and though a mirror might reveal our weakness, it reflects only a fraction of our strength.”

See? That’s deep stuff, man. And that deep thought sprung right from the head of our main protagonist, “Slowhand” Clay Cooper. I enjoyed Clay so much. I loved all of the members of Saga, a classic band getting together for one last adventure and the central focus of the book. But Clay was definitely my favorite. If Saga is to be equated with an actual musical band, here are my thoughts on what instrument each member would play. Golden Gabe is the frontman, as we already know from the book itself, but the rest are all strictly my opinion. I believe that Ganelon is the lead guitarist, because lead guitarists of rock bands tend to be destructive and more than a little crazy and are often lady magnets, all of which apply. Moog plays the synthesizer, because he’s kooky and does his own thing but it somehow always works out with what the rest of the band is doing. Matty Skulldrummer would have to be the drummer for obvious reasons.

That leaves Clay. I think Slowhand is an appropriate stage name for a bassist. A bassist tends to be the binding agent in a band, the person who quietly holds everything together and keeps the song moving in the right direction. The bass-line is the heartbeat of a song, and Clay Cooper is without a doubt the heartbeat of Saga. Also, I have a thing for bassists; my husband is a phenomenal one.

All of that randomness to say: I really loved this book. And honestly, I could go on about the employment of such a wide array of fantastical creatures and magical weapons and intriguing mythology, but I want to leave as much as possible unknown for others to discover for themselves. There were a couple of writing choices that I would have changed, like doing away with a few of the plethora of similes employed in the prose, but there was nothing that bothered me enough to keep me from giving the book five rocking stars. If you’re looking for something that mingles humor with heart, that will make you feel nostalgic and keep you entertained as you search for various pop culture references, I’ve found no other novel that can top this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kings of the Wyld.

March 20, 2017 – Shelved
March 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 28, 2017 – Started Reading
November 30, 2017 –
32.0% "There was a Hobbit reference that cracked me the heck up. 😂😂😂"
December 6, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: funny

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Melanie Amazing review, love! I'm so happy you enjoyed! <3

Celeste Thank you so much, dear!! It was fantastic! 😁

Petrik Fantastic review, Celeste!! I knew you're going to enjoy this one!! :)

Celeste Thank you, darling!! And thank you so much for the gift!! 😘😘

Petrik Celeste wrote: "Thank you, darling!! And thank you so much for the gift!! 😘😘"

you're welcome! :)

message 6: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Superb!!! I love your review, Celeste.

And gosh now you mentioned the reference to The Hobbit, I realised that I found that familiar too.

Love your musical allegory of the band members, and especially the homage to bassists, cos that's my favourite component of a band (well, thanks to John Taylor of Duran Duran too.)

message 7: by Nimrod (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel Great review! Looking forward this one, sounds like fun :)

Anton Fantastic review! 👍

message 9: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Awesome review Celeste!

Celeste TS wrote: "Superb!!! I love your review, Celeste.

Love your musical allegory of the band members, and esp..."

Thank you, my love!! And yes to hot bassists!!!

Celeste Nimrod wrote: "Great review! Looking forward this one, sounds like fun :)"

Thanks, Nimrod! It was a lot of fun. Enjoy! 😊

Celeste Eric wrote: "Awesome review Celeste!"

Anton wrote: "Fantastic review! 👍"

Thank you both!! 😁😁

Haïfa Phenomenal review, love!!
I really loved your interpretation of everyone's place in the band! Valid points! <3

Celeste Thank you, my darling!! 😘😘

message 15: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake I'm in the middle of the book currently, however, I thought the same thing with The Hobbit reference. The rock band analogy is great. Ganelon as lead guitar is perfect, because I think his weapon of choice is an axe. This book is so much fun!

Celeste I’m glad you’re enjoying it, Jake! It’s super fun. I just started Bloody Rose and it’s just as great so far!