Kirstie's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

bookshelves: fairy-tale, fantasy, high-fantasy, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters, young-adult

Princess Ani has never fit in at home, so when - instead of inheriting the crown as she always assumed she would - she is sent off to another country to wed its prince in exchange for peace she looks on it as a chance to start over. and start over she will since there is a terrible mutiny en route and she is cast out into the world, alone, penniless and hunted.

This book was a lot more brutal than I was expecting since it was a fairy tale retelling, and a YA one at that. Things like (view spoiler) shocked me, and really hit home in ways that a typical betrayal story might not have.

The book had a good velocity and kept me keen for more (much to my husband's chagrin), and you can bet I'll be reading the later stories soon.

All the characters were so well realised, and nicely varied (with the exception of some of the sub-villain Kildenrian guards) and I loved the differences between the two countries and how Ani viewed and adapted to them.

Ani herself started off as an interesting sympathetic character and grew so perfectly into exactly what she needed to be and - though I don't think she herself realised it - exactly what she wanted to be too. It was a great character arc to follow.

The finale was tense and griping right up until the last few minutes, with Ceilia always seeming to have the upper hand.

I'm looking forward to when my next Audible credit hits and I can read the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

March 19, 2017 – Shelved