Linda Ketter's Reviews > Echo

Echo by Nana Malone

61662078

I was surprised with this book. Echo has always been the good girl. She takes care of her brothers, does what is asked of her and never complains about any of it (except for maybe a little venting to Jen but that's what friends are for). She is finally going to realize her dream, but in a brief conversation that dream is shattered. Now part of that is her own fault for not standing up for herself, but the bulk of it is on her parents and gramps for assuming what her dreams were and not actually asking her.

Echo is a ticking time bomb and she uses running to relieve some of her stress. Unfortunately, this last round of requests is too much for her to bear. Everyone expects Echo to do what is asked and they don't realize the weight on her shoulders; but Echo never tells them it's too much and her shoulders can only hold so much weight. I loved the explosion that happened at the party. It was a long time coming and no one should have been surprised, but they all were. Really, there's only so much one person can do.

As much as I did not love Cole's attitude about rich people, I understood it. He pushed Echo to see where her breaking point was during training and was surprised. However, gramps and Julia just reinforced his opinion. I loved that Bryce went and talked to Cole after the explosion and explained that not all of them are like his preconceptions.

I don't know what gramps' problem is or if he is just trying to live vicariously through the grandkids, but he needs to get over himself or he's going to alienate everyone he claims to love. And what could possibly by wrong with Brent?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo.

Started Reading