Amanda's Reviews > First Truth

First Truth by Dawn Cook

F 50x66
Aug 04, 2011

liked it

Alissa doesn't believe in magic. Even though her father has filled her head with stories of the Hold and Keepers, she was convinced that they were only stories. But when Alissa's mother throws her out of the home to find her destiny, Alissa finds that stories can be real. As Alissa journeys through the foothills and plains, she meets up with Strell, who helps her find the truth.

I was so disappointed in this series. As a big fan of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, I thought her debut YA fantasy novel as Dawn Cook would be just as fun -but it seemed like this was written by a completely different person. I was looking for an exciting, action-packed YA fantasy novel filled with magic. I didn't even mind if it followed a very traditional story structure -I just wanted something fun in the vein of Percy Jackson and the Olympians or something of that nature. First Truth wasn't like that at all -while the world was interesting, the characters were incredibly flat and impossible to relate to. Not only that, but it felt like it too far too long for the plot to start moving and when it did, it didn't seem to go much of anywhere until the very end.

While at times charming, First Truth just doesn't deliver. The plot was slow-paced and the action felt nearly non-existent. The world was fascinating and fun, but was populated by uninteresting characters and a bland protagonist. I really wanted to like this book -I wanted it to take me back to my childhood and be so fun that I just went along for the ride -despite the fact that the plot isn't incredibly original. This book actually spawned three sequels, and I'm afraid that I wasn't interested enough to continue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Truth.