Vít Kotačka's Reviews > Clojure Applied: From Practice to Practitioner

Clojure Applied by Ben Vandgrift

Aug 31, 2017

bookshelves: clojure, sw-engineering, read-in-english

This is a fine Clojure book, but it's unbalanced on seniority of topics.

I read recommendation on the internet that this should be the "second" book about Clojure, just after reading of some beginner's book. I can agree with this just partially.

There are some topics which are very basic and essential: collections, sequences, half of the concurrency stuff (obligatory atoms, refs and agents), or testing via clojure.test.

On the other hand, there are quite advanced topics. Right in the first chapter about domain modeling, you can find topics like multimethods and protocols which rather obscure the main theme of the chapter.

Similarly, in the chapter named Use Your Cores, there are concepts of transducers and pipelines. I have to admit, that my knowledge gap was to wide here and I lost the path. Need to review the topic again (probably repeatedly).

So, my recommendation? You should pick some "other" Clojure book as the "second" one, according a domain of your interest. And you can read bites of Clojure Applied simultaneously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clojure Applied.

March 19, 2017 – Shelved
March 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 19, 2017 – Shelved as: clojure
March 19, 2017 – Shelved as: sw-engineering
April 26, 2017 – Started Reading
May 3, 2017 –
25.0% "The first chapter about domain modeling was dense - the usage of records, multimethods and protocols. And a validation with (Prismatic) Schema. The second chapter about collections is more accessible."
May 29, 2017 –
46.0% "Chapter 4 about 'State, Identity and Change'. So, Atoms, Refs and Vars. A little bit overcomplicated and less understandable."
July 30, 2017 –
52.0% "Reducers well explained."
July 31, 2017 –
55.0% "Transducers and pipelines - a topic to study."
August 2, 2017 –
68.0% "Chapters about components, application assembly (via components and channels) and environments configuration."
August 4, 2017 –
78.0% "A chapter about testing in Clojure: clojure.test and clojure.check. Later is now surpassed by clojure.spec, so not so interesting."
August 30, 2017 –
81.0% "EDN explained."
August 30, 2017 –
87.0% "JSON serialization is obvious. The Target format is a bit interesting, but I'm afraid little adopted."
August 31, 2017 – Finished Reading