tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > An Anthology Of Concrete Poetry

An Anthology Of Concrete Poetry by Emmett Williams

bookshelves: poetry
Recommended for: all molecules seeking a new arrangement

I've already made my love of Concrete Poetry & of Something Else Press abundantly clear elsewhere but I'll repeat myself anyway: one of my favorite forms of poetry, one of my favorite presses. An incredible body of work edited by one of its main practioners. Works in languages other than English presented in their original language & in translation (when 'possible') or otherwise explained. Just referring to the pieces here w/o showing examples is like describing the 'Mona Lisa' as "some woman" (or whatever).

Sadly, I rarely meet anyone anymore who even knows what concrete poetry is. How time flies, shit stinks, & people forget. Concrete Poetry is writing in wch the form of the text is as communicative as the words & letters of the text itself - if not more so. & this anthology was, according to the front cover, "the largest Anthology of Concrete Poetry to appear to date, and the first major one to be published in the United States."

If you like yr visual & textual stimulation intertwined cleverly into one gloriously compacted form, this is for you. If you have to watch "The X-Files" on tv 1st, uh, forget I mentioned it. There're over 300 selections in this monster from many people in many countries. This is one of the most international poetry comps you'll ever se.

H-L-E-U-A-
-A-L-L-J-H!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Anthology Of Concrete Poetry.

Finished Reading