Alyssa's Reviews > Fade

3631974
Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2011, books-i-own
Read in August, 2011

In the second book of the Dreamcatcher/Wake series, Janie is faced with using her abilities of entering other people’s dreams in a dangerous case—finding out which teacher at her school is a sexual predator. Janie finds herself way over her head in the case, and worse yet, she learns the truth of her abilities…and the bleak future that lies ahead.
Lisa McMann did it again. And by that I mean I read this book in about 3.5 hours I think, pausing only to work, walk to subway stations, and heat up my dinner.
The beginning took a little to get going, starting with somewhat cheesy banter between Janie and Cabe. Once the story got going though, it was impossible to put down. I wasn’t sure if I’d like the book as much as the first, as the first is a lot of Janie discovering her abilities and her relationship with Cabel, but McMann was still able to create suspense with characters readers already knew. The short, choppy writing style kept me turning the pages.
I loved this book for the same reasons as the first (quirky writing style, very likable characters, interesting paranormal aspect), but I think what really got me and impressed me was how McMann was able to make me feel when Janie learns what the future holds for her as a dreamcatcher. It is an incredibly bleak, dark future and when Janie found out, I felt so incredibly sorry for her. While I usually like characters and care about them somewhat, but there have not been that many times that I care for a character’s future as much as Janie’s.
And with that, I’m off to Book 3: Gone

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fade.