melissa1lbr's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

bookshelves: collection, favorites, young-adult

Things I Liked:
I simply fell in love with this book. It is not what I'd call a typical dystopian full of action and excitement, though it does have some. What I love most is the quiet nature of it, the slow development, and especially the layered symbols and meanings that I see in nearly every sentence. Condie's writing seems simple, but it also has depth and measure that belies its simplicity. It was such a beautiful experience to just feel like there was more than the story going on with deeper feelings and ideas. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but somehow I felt like I was floating along on an undercurrent with Cassia and Ky in this gorgeous alien landscape (it helps that I adore the geography of Southern Utah). The character back stories and the delicious depths of the Society and Aberrations and all that stuff just made this a rich and moving experience for me. I also really enjoy the thought that goes into the love triangle - the feelings Cassia still obviously has for Xander and his own frustrations at being left behind. Just really well done!

Things I Didn't Like:
I can definitely see how there will be things people don't like about this one: the viewpoints are very similar, the plot is pretty slow sometimes, it seems like the whole book is kind of one big circle and back where they all started, but I was not bothered by any of these things. I enjoyed it all!
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

August 4, 2011 – Shelved