Cheryl's Reviews > What Lurks Below

What Lurks Below by Donald Firesmith

liked it

I give this 3.5 stars.

Well, wasn't this a complete surprise package! It just goes to show that you should never judge a book by its cover.
After reading reviews as to what this novella would be genre wise, I tend to disagree that it's science fiction. To me it felt more like a horror/paranormal/thriller and kept you on the edge of your seat as to what would happen next.
Written rather like a journal from the male protagonist's point of view, the writing was smooth and the characters quite lifelike. It did get a bit heavy on the technical side but this was really needed to back up various theories for the existence of the holes.
I won't say anymore as it would give spoilers away, suffice to say I'll be reading the next novella in the series which looks to be from the female protagonist's point of view.

*** As an aside this story was based on the very real happenings of numerous holes appearing in rural Siberia. There is still no real consensus as to what has caused these holes to appear but it really is quite fascinating and eerie to read about. ***
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Lurks Below.

March 18, 2017 – Shelved