Ting's Reviews > Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens

Elizabeth and Mary by Jane Dunn

Aug 04, 2011

A wonderful dual biography of two intriguing women and monarchs. I have always been fascinated by both these charismatic and very different figures in history, their lives intertwined by their adjoining kingdoms, blood (they were cousins), and their common role as female monarchs. I have never thought much of Mary of Scots who seemed to let events, people, and her emotions run her but through this biography I can sympathise. She was raised to be a reigning Queen but a Queen who would be secondary to the ruling hand of a husband during a time when female monarchs were not highly esteemed or instilled confidence. Elizabeth I still stands out as a premier Prince, male or female, of her time. She was endowed with a human touch with her people and yet still maintained a regal presence. And although, she surrounded herself with a trusted group of counselors in the end, even with her frustrating vacillating she ruled and she ruled alone "with the heart and stomach of a king and a king of England" to become one of the greatest monarchs Europe had ever seen. I highly recommend this book and the insight it gives to two intriguing figures in history.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth and Mary.