Erin's Reviews > Nemesis

Nemesis by Jo Nesbø

F 50x66
Aug 04, 2011

This is my second Harry Hole book in as many weeks, and I am once again impressed. While Nemesis is perhaps a little more conventional a crime mystery than The Redbreast, it is only because the latter used the element of flashback to historical fiction as its subplot. Nemesis, however, is every bit as complicated and, consequently, satisfying. What stood out for most about this one is that even at the end, I can't tell you which was the central crime. There are really two (if not more) mysteries going on in this book, and part of the mystery is figuring out how they're linked. Like with the previous book, Nesbo puts all the strands in place, but doesn't weave them together until the end. So you read with a sense that you kind of know somewhat how it's all connected, but you really don't. Great suspense technique! What I found is that as I sensed I was in the home stretch and the solution was forthcoming, I couldn't put the book down, desperate to find out how everything fit together.

Beyond the skillful unraveling of the crime(s) plot, what makes the Nesbo books so enjoyable are the characters. They are complex and varied, and Harry himself is a complicated hero. We shouldn't like him, yet we do.

As soon as I hit "save" on this review, I'm staring The Devil's Star. I guess that says it all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis.