Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) 's Reviews > Lucky in Love

Lucky in Love by Kasie West

Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews

Lucky in Love brings the the trademark Kasie West romance with a new premise: What if you won the lottery? How do you stay true to yourself in the midst of all those new changes?

I’ve got to say that I really enjoyed this book. I read it all in one sitting. Maddie’s journey from being in poverty to suddenly having so much money you didn’t know what to do with it was compelling. We see her evolve as the story progresses, and I liked how she realized that money didn’t solve all her problems. This book explores the different nuances that arise when money is involved, such as family members suddenly becoming untrustworthy or friends that take advantage of you, and I think Kasie did this very honestly and realistically. We also see Maddie and her friends dealing with their transition from high school to college, what their dreams are, what they want to do with their lives, and I related so hard to this because while I’m not graduating high school, I did go through that same process.
“It was weird going from invisible to suddenly not. Doors that had been closed before now seemed wide open. All kinds of doors I hadn’t expected.”

As expected from the summary, there were a lot of cringeworthy moments in this novel, and these were undoubtedly the reason I didn’t give it 5 stars. Maddie was spending money really quick, which, I get it, you just won the lottery, but her indiscriminate spending seemed insincere to me when not even 3 days ago she couldn’t buy a bag of candy for herself. Honestly, this is more of a personal annoyance because I am actually in a situation similar to Maddie’s (pre-winning the lottery), so yeah, not a fault of the book.

Anyways, the reason I fell head over heels for this book is because of the romance between Maddie and Seth. It’s so wholesome and cute. They work at the zoo together, and they’re always goofing around. Their relationship is basically effortless. No angst, no drama, just pure cuteness all the time. This was basically a friends to lovers trope, and I loved every second of it. I loved that we got to know Seth past the superficial stuff. He’s Vietnamese-American, and we see glimpses into his family life, the micro aggressions he sometimes gets, like “where are you really from?”, and basically the author takes care to write Seth as more than just a love interest.

Lucky in Love is an adorable contemporary romance. It’s coming of age, with realistic teenage struggles, authentic portrayals of friendship, family, and societal expectations, and written in such a way that it’s easy to fly through.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky in Love.

March 18, 2017 – Shelved