Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > The Shadow Throne

The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler

bookshelves: year-2017, audiobook, 5-star, lgbt

YES. SO. MUCH. YES.

I enjoyed this book immensely! Holy cow.

I never would have guessed that I'd find myself loving a piece of military fantasy this much, but there's something about this series that keeps me so entertained.

While reading this story, the words were completely wrapping me up in a blanket of politics, magic, and war.

I was entranced, breathing hard, shaking my fists, making faces, the whole nine yards.

Stories that are heavy on politics, by nature, are slow moving. It's required in order for the reader to get a thorough grasp on all the moving pieces. I found the pace here suitably steady, flipping back and forth between perspectives at just the right moment to keep me musing over what would happen next.

Wexler's writing is descriptive without being overwhelming. He provides the reader with a detailed picture of each scene in elegant & concise sentences.

I also have to brag on the characters in this story. Each is distinctive & engaging. An even spread of male & female perspectives is not always the easiest thing to accomplish in a series that's so heavily composed around a military setting, but Wexler delivers it beautifully.

There isn't a single perspective I don't enjoy.

I was consistently wondering "Where will this go? How will it end? Who will survive?"

The small issue I had with The Thousand Names, which was that the fighting scenes carried on for slightly longer than necessary, was totally resolved in this installment. Would absolutely recommend this series!

I'm please to add this series to my list of all-time favorites & I am so beyond eager to begin The Price of Valor!

***Check out my interview with the author here!!***

This review and other reviews of mine can be found on Book Nest!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Throne.

March 18, 2017 – Shelved
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 8, 2017 – Started Reading
April 10, 2017 –
20.0% "Literally all I want to do is read this right now *screams*"
April 13, 2017 –
65.0% "Oh my god! Bitch you better leave my child alone or I will jump into this book and fight you!! *screams*"
April 14, 2017 –
91.0% "Ohhhhh what a lovely dialogue about men and women serving as equals in the military. *heart eyes*"
April 14, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2017
April 14, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
April 14, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 15, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbt

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Petrik Pretty sure you're going to enjoy this one!! :D btw, the last book has been delayed to 2018, it's not coming this year...

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Damn Petrik that's fucking depressing!! D: But I think I'll like this one too! I guess at least I've got two more books & a novella to hold me over ;P

Travis It did to Jan 2018 I believe or early 2018!! A little sad but I am not prepared to find out what happens to all my precious children!!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I feel like all my faves are being pushed back I swear D:

Haïfa Fantastic review my darling !!! This series seems like something I would really enjoy ! Your second paragraph is describing what I'm experiencing with Promise of Blood (Powder Mage series) ^^

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you so much Haifa!! I think you'll really like it & to be honest this is making me ECSTATIC for Powder Mage!!

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Is this the book that made you furious af ??? Because I'm lowkey interested *adds to tbr* Great review Mary Moo <3

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yes!! I'm still low key mad tbh!! Even tho the book was excellent! Thank you Tweebies <333

message 9: by Churin (new)

Churin Great review, Mary ^^

message 10: by Sana (new)

Sana oh i loved his other series (which i forgot everything about lolol) love your review mary <3 adding this to my tbr :p

Jody Fab review Mary! :)

message 12: by ☽Luna☾ (new)

☽Luna☾ Great review precious! Can't wait to read this !

message 13: by Lema (new)

Lema I'm so glad you are still enjoying this series Mary!! It just went way up on my TBR list :D

Petrik great review Mary! I skimmed through it but I'll read it eventually after I read the series! :)

Travis Yes. I am so glad you are loving this series!!!!! It is one I wish more people should read!!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Chuurun!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oooo Sana did you!?? I've been eyeing it lol I don't even know what it's about but I know which one you're talking about! Awh I hope you like this one thank you lovely!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thanks so much Jody! :D

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Sarah thank you sugar bun! <33

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yes Lema I'm enjoying it a TON! Like I'm so anxious to read the third one but I don't wanna rush it since the last one isn't out til next year!! *sobs* I hope you love it too!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Petrik! I know I've been trying not to let others reviews for books I have coming up in the near future put words into my head for when I write my own!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Travis I really love it!! I agree it's very underrated haha

Jack +Books & Bourbon+ It's definitely better the first one, which is hard since the first one was amazing!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Jack this series is just one flowing river of hell yes for me 😂 I love it so much I could cry

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ LOL KICK SOME OF THAT OTHER SHIT OFF THE LIST THIS DESERVES A PRIME SPOT

message 26: by Martine (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:43PM) (new) - added it

Martine Carlsson Hi Mary. :) Read your review again and realized I had already the book on my list! (Thanks to you ;) ) I was wondering if this one was full action/supsense or if it was drown in some romance plot?
I don't mind characters to have relations, I just feel uneasy with heavy (m/f) romance. :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hey Martine!! Nawh girl don't worry this series is amazing & definitely doesn't have a distracting romance element! <3

message 28: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine Carlsson Nice! :) I'll put it on my summer list. :) (Next to Watership Down and the Handmaid's tale)

Megan Great review!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh Martine I didn't see your comment! I hope you enjoy when you get to it!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Megan!! :'D