Lauren 's Reviews > The Death and Life of the Great Lakes

The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan

1291915

bookshelves: environment, us-history, geography, canada, nature, rivers-and-lakes, science, best-of-2017, journalism

If you care about the environment and sustainability, you must read this book. Even if you live thousands of miles away from these North American freshwater marvels, this book makes the case why we should all care about the impacts of invasive species, eutrophication, and the larger issues of climate change and access to fresh water.

An unparalleled work of reportage and science writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of the Great Lakes.

March 18, 2017 – Shelved
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: environment
July 3, 2017 – Started Reading
July 4, 2017 –
page 28
July 5, 2017 –
page 80
24.92% "Three fish: lake trout, lamprey, alewives"
July 6, 2017 – Shelved as: us-history
July 6, 2017 – Shelved as: geography
July 6, 2017 – Shelved as: canada
July 6, 2017 – Shelved as: nature
July 7, 2017 –
page 108
33.64% ""As humans, we always want to be in control, but we can't control the Great Lakes. We changed them, but we didn't control them."
- Biologist with the Great Lakes Fisheries Commission"
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: rivers-and-lakes
July 20, 2017 –
page 187
58.26% "Getting back to this after some library holds came in... The cheery news of the looming Asian carp invasion."
August 10, 2017 –
page 277
August 11, 2017 – Shelved as: science
August 11, 2017 – Shelved as: best-of-2017
August 11, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 4, 2017 – Shelved as: journalism

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thanks so much for bringing this book to my attention! I can't believe I haven't heard about it. I grew up on the Detroit River and sailed the Great Lakes with my grandfather, a Navy vet. I saw so many changes in the Lakes during the 20 years I lived in Michigan.

Lauren Jenna wrote: "Thanks so much for bringing this book to my attention! I can't believe I haven't heard about it. I grew up on the Detroit River and sailed the Great Lakes with my grandfather, a Navy vet. I saw so ..."I learned so much from this one, and no doubt you will too! I haven't spent much time around any of the lakes (just a weekend in Chicago and a few flyovers!) I can imagine the regional connection will only enhance your appreciation of this one.

Judith E I really need to read this. I'm glad you've 5 starred it.

Lauren Judith wrote: "I really need to read this. I'm glad you've 5 starred it."It's a very detailed analysis, so it isn't exactly leisure reading, but it is really well done and I learned so much from it. I am sure you will too.

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Too many good books, not enough time!

Judith E This is on my very soon tbr list. Good to see your stars.

Elizabeth☮ Another good read.