Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > The Screaming Staircase

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, paranormal, recommended-to-me, unpopular-opinions
Recommended to Kaylin by: Sana °¤°

3 Stars

Overview:

description

^ Basically my entire feelings about this book. I can appreciate it, but something about it didn’t click. I just don’t think it was for me.

I liked it. I just didn’t love it.

Buddy Read with the lovely Frankie! Who enjoyed this much more than I did!

Pros:

There’s some super cool worldbuilding. It’s ghosts mixed with science and somehow it works. This is set in a London where the world is almost over-run with paranormal activity, and children are the only ones able to detect them. It's a fun premise that's carried out well.

The atmosphere is deliciously creepy and Jonathan Stroud brilliantly uses sensory details to illustrate a scene. Definitely spookier than I expected, and even my hyper-rational brain was wincing at shadows after some late-night-reading.

Lockwood is a delightfully cocky lil thing without being calloused or uncaring. This was well-balanced combo that I really appreciated.

There’s some really witty and hilarious dialogue that I really enjoyed.

Cons

It was glaringly obvious to me that I was outside the target age. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more old until I was half-way through thinking, “You’re how old again? Why don’t you spend your money wisely? How come none of you have guardians or parental supervison at all? Why is everyone so reckless?”

There’s just a lot of middle-grade humor and I think my inner-child is on vacation or something, but it just didn’t work for me. Like I get it. George in his underwear is supposed to be funny.

Lucy, our narrator, was so boring. She stands up for herself and has ideas… but that’s kind of it? It felt like she didn’t have a ton of personality and her voice was overall really dry. I spent the first third of this convinced it was a historical because the way she speaks is so… wordy? Outdated? It just felt very off and bored me.

I’m actually still not completely certain this isn’t a historical. I’m sorry if it is.

In Conclusion

A creepy adventure with a fun cast of characters—that I’m sure others more used to Middle Grade will enjoy more than I did.

(Also I'm sorry Sana.
At least I didn't DNF and one star it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screaming Staircase.

March 17, 2017 – Shelved
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 25, 2017 – Started Reading
April 29, 2017 –
13.0% "That got real crazy real quick. Definitely spooky."
April 30, 2017 –
27.0% "😁 I'm not loving this so far..."
May 3, 2017 –
56.0% "Why is Lockwood so much more interesting than Lucy 😐"
May 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: middle-grade
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: recommended-to-me
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: unpopular-opinions

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Sana WOW THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. HAPPY READING. LOVE IT, THANKS.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sana wrote: "WOW THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. HAPPY READING. LOVE IT, THANKS."

THIS IS LIKE 80% YOUR FAULT

Sana AHAHAHA I TAKE THE BLAME, JUST PLEASE LOVE THIS

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

But happy reading Kaylin and Frankie!

alyssa enjoy, babe! haha i'm planning on reading this next month! 💖

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solomon wrote: "Imma laugh if they hate it so you can know what it feels like when your friends crap on your faves.

But happy reading Kaylin and Frankie!"

Omg the irony would be amazing, not gonna lie

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Alyssa Helvar wrote: "enjoy, babe! haha i'm planning on reading this next month! 💖"

Thanks girl! I hope you love it! ❤️

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

RIGHT?!? I would just die of laughter, because KARMA SANA. ITS A THING.

Sana Solomon wrote: "RIGHT?!? I would just die of laughter, because KARMA SANA. ITS A THING."

S T O P

omg pls no

Frankie Lovely How did I miss this entire conversation?! I hope we hate love it!

message 11: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana DONT YOU DARE HATE MY BABIES !!!!!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Frankie Westfall wrote: "How did I miss this entire conversation?! I hope we hate love it!"

Well I missed your comment entirely so I think this post must have a cloaking device or some shizz.

The power we somewhat hold over Sana right now is super addicting, not gonna lie. 😂

message 13: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana my emotions are in your hands, be a kind person and dont make me cry pls

message 14: by Dia (new)

Dia Enjoy, Kaylin 🙂 I have this on my tbr too

Frankie Lovely Sana wrote: "my emotions are in your hands, be a kind person and dont make me cry pls"

*evil grin*

I think Im going to dnf it actually

message 16: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana Frankie Westfall wrote: "Sana wrote: "my emotions are in your hands, be a kind person and dont make me cry pls"

*evil grin*

I think Im going to dnf it actually"

*screams* S T O P T H I S

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Deepika wrote: "Enjoy, Kaylin 🙂 I have this on my tbr too"

Thank you, Deepika! I hope you enjoy it!

message 18: by Kaylin (last edited Apr 27, 2017 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Frankie Westfall wrote: "Sana wrote: "my emotions are in your hands, be a kind person and dont make me cry pls"

*evil grin*

I think Im going to dnf it actually"

*grins back*

Me too. That good ole DNF and one star.

message 19: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana KAYLIN I'M GOING TO BLOCK YOU,

ST O P AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

You have no idea how happy this makes me

message 21: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana solomon go in a hole, stay there and die
AND KAYLIN WHAT THE FUCK

message 22: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana brb crying

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solomon wrote: "You have no idea how happy this makes me"

Omg 😂 She's going to kill me

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sana wrote: "solomon go in a hole, stay there and die
AND KAYLIN WHAT THE FUCK"

IM SORRY.
I liked it! I just didn't love it! I think my inner child is defective because Middle Grade only sometimes works for me. BUT I REALLY LIKED SOME PARTS OKAY

message 25: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana 😶😶😶😶😶😶 I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY RIGHT NOW

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) I still wuv you ❤️

message 27: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana ilyt but now strange the dreamer shall suffer

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sana wrote: "ilyt but now strange the dreamer shall suffer"

I can bump this down to 2 stars. Don't think I won't

message 29: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana 😐

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sana wrote: "😐"

😀😀😀

Frankie Lovely woo hoo! lol Sana in yo face ... even though it was not a 1 star. Ill take what I can get. Sorry I failed lol