Kristina's Reviews > Tigana

Aug 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

I enjoyed the richly imagined world, full of different regions, the people that inhabited it, the folklore. I found most of the characters likable (even one of the villans!) and my curiosity was piqued by the idea of a nameless home and a lost generation. I can tell a lot of thought went into this world, the political aspect, the characters, the plot, etc and I was able to appreciate both the author and the story more for it.

Yes, there were sorcerers and wizards, but unless it was pointed out to you, you'd never know. There is minimal use of magic in the story, which wouldn't have bothered me except that if that were the case, magic shouldn't have even been introduced. The whole magical aspect fell flat for me for this reason. There was no elaboration, no details, etc.

In the beginning, it was very difficult to get into the story because it was filled with mumbo jumbo that I could have cared less about at the time. I noticed throughout the story Kay made no attempt to spell things out for the reader - comprehension came with continued reading. In a way, I liked that because I hate it when an author explains it all as if you never went to school, but I found it frustrating in the beginning because so many new things were being introduced at once that it was hard to keep track.

There were a handful of scenes that I think could have been omitted. Frankly, I don't think they served much purpose in the story.. ie. Alienor's castle... Actually, those scenes left a bad taste in my mouth.. However, I don't think its enough to dissuade me from suggesting this book to fantasy readers.

Overall, it was okay. Three stars. I wouldn't jump out of bed to read it, but I recognize that it does have its strengths. It just didn't have the same appeal to me that some other books do because I felt detached and disconnected to the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.