Saunders's Reviews > Garden of Goodbyes

Garden of Goodbyes by Faith  Andrews

bookshelves: 2017, cheating, illicit-love, standalone, strong-plot, tear-jerker

So where do I start with this thought provoking read? I almost didn't read this book because the previous stories I have read by Faith Andrews, I didn't like them. I downloaded the free sample and was immediately caught by the opening line “ I need your help” - four desperate words opened this story and after reading the first few chapters I knew I would be caught by the depth of the writing.

This is an emotional story and revolves around three main characters Eden, Lennox and Eden's sister Violet but don’t go into this story thinking it is a romance - it is very much more than that. It is a story of love, addiction and the destruction that addiction brings about. Their journey brings a number of choices and the consequences of these choices made some painful reading.

Lennox and Eden had a lifetime ahead of them. They loved each other from 17. Lennox had taught Eden about unconditional selfless love and it was Lennox who injected the meaning of life into Eden. Both had big dreams. High school for Eden, NFL for Lennox and marriage. That dream was fulfilled until an injury robbed Lennox of his future and his love for Eden.

Violet - her idea of love was reckless and it always ended in disaster. She was like the serpent in the Garden of Eden, I disliked her so much and the role she played in destroying something that was good and pure.

The flaws of each character are laid bare in this story. Each one of them wanted to be loved but we see the ultimate price that is paid by each one of them and the consequences of their decisions.

Cheating is a hard limit for me and I would not go near a book with cheating, I would give it a resounding body swerve BUT please don’t discard this book because of that. Read the story and absorb the writing of Faith Andrews and how she presents this story and these three characters. It will help you understand how the cheating became inevitable and the ultimate price that these three paid.

Sometimes the culmination of things that are too powerful to defeat can steal the thing we love the most. Lennox loved Eden and Violet in different ways. He belonged to both of them and was loved by both of them in a different way. Lennox was not the man who tore them apart but was the man who eventually brought them back to love.
A powerful read and so glad it was available on Kindle Unlimited.

'That’s the thing about optimism - sometimes it clouded your judgment, like rose-colored glasses, and left you vulnerable for reality to blindside the shit out of you.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden of Goodbyes.

Quotes Saunders Liked

Faith  Andrews
“That’s the thing about optimism. Sometimes it clouded your judgment, like rose-colored glasses, and left you vulnerable for reality to blindside the shit out of you.”
Faith Andrews, Garden of Goodbyes

March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: standalone
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: strong-plot
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: tear-jerker
March 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Jan  Awesome review, Saunders.
Simply outstanding.
On another note, I'll make sure to send you over the bill from my therapist ;-)

message 2: by Saunders (last edited Mar 19, 2017 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saunders Jan wrote: "Awesome review, Saunders.
Simply outstanding.
On another note, I'll make sure to send you over the bill from my therapist ;-)"

Hey Jan - I really wanted your thoughts on this one because we were probably on the same page. Normally I would not touch this book but I had to and I kept a very open mind when reading it because I know a lot of readers will say HMPF! not going there but there is a very clear message running through the book - it needed to be aired and have to say I thought the writing was exceptional. Thanks for your lovely words Jan - send the bill ;) xx

message 3: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Fantastic review, Saunders! :)

Saunders Candace wrote: "Fantastic review, Saunders! :)"

Olga therebelreader Fabuloys review, Saunders. Can't wait to read it !!!

Saunders Olga therebelreader wrote: "Fabuloys review, Saunders. Can't wait to read it !!!"

Thanks Olga. I look forward to your thoughts :)

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Amazing review.

Saunders Michelle wrote: "Amazing review."

thanks Michelle - are you going to read it?

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Drugs and the drug culture are particularly hard for me. I think I may read it, but I'll have to be in a certain head place to do so. I did put it on my pile.

Saunders Michelle wrote: "Drugs and the drug culture are particularly hard for me. I think I may read it, but I'll have to be in a certain head place to do so. I did put it on my pile."

yeah Michelle I know what you mean. I almost didn't read it but I am glad I did but like you, my head had to be in it :)