tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > the other kills

the other kills by Brian Douglas Clemons

bookshelves: poetry

Brian was a junkie who ODed on heroin at his parent's place in New England in 1990. He was also a friend of mine. Thank goodness that this trace of him is left behind. Maybe it's foolish of me to want the people I loved & respected to live on into posterity but so be it.

I have 2 videos from Brian. The 1st is called "$20 Poem". "the twenty dollar poem" is in this bk. It begins:

"1. entry

legs are wide open mouths
licking the floor.
i take notes
pour pepsi into a dry wound
on my face.
waitin' for a vision

again.

so long baby
so long tommy j.
i glide on other rails.
goodbyes are too easy
on my way to the place."

The video begins w/ Brian reading his poems from inside a dumpster. I reckon Brian spent a fair amt of time dumpster diving & I reckon there were many times when he felt like he was garbage in this society.

Brian was in Florida, NYC squats, Chicago flop hotels, Baltimore for a reading. the B-More reading was arranged by myself & B-More poet Ed Bavis. It was at the 8X10 bar near the Cross Street Market. He showed video of himself shooting up. He shot his emotions out to the audience w/ palpable intensity. He later told me that it was the best-paying gig he ever had. Brian deserved better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read the other kills.

Finished Reading
April 4, 2008 – Shelved
April 4, 2008 – Shelved as: poetry

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Dolan I knew Brian back in the 80's lowereastside ny. We squatted in the same building and shared some people adventures. I was mentioned in a poem of his. I was not into powders but we connected on lots of levels. I remember his smile, broken needles he found in the park. He actually was pretty kind. I hadnt seen him since 88. One night he seranaded my girl friend and i, as we hung suspended in a tuna net, hanging inside a building whose stairs had rotted away. We had lit the whole area with candles, there, in the flickering shadows i see his eyes and wild grin.

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE Daniel wrote: "I knew Brian back in the 80's lowereastside ny. We squatted in the same building and shared some people adventures. I was mentioned in a poem of his. I was not into powders but we connected on lots...":

That's a great memory. He went by Max Volume back in those days, eh? He was a kind man. I miss him — as do many others. It's interesting to see people come forward sporadically to say sincerely nice things about him.