Mark Cichonski's Reviews > Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up

Throwing the Elephant by Stanley Bing

M 50x66
Aug 04, 2011

As usual, Bing is tongue firmly in cheek, but there are a few nuggets in here. There is one part about communicating with your boss/elephant. Keep him overfed and well fed throughout the day. We call it cocktails and appetizers. There are many other interesting tidbits in here.One of the other things I love is the quotes. My favorite quote is "Scared money never wins-Anonymous". There are other important chapters, getting drunk with the elephant (no good things ever come from drinking with the boss), golfing with the elephant (I personally think there could be a whole book on this, do I let him win, hmm...) I also love the 4 phase approach: personal preparation, basic:handling the elephant, intermediate, managing the elephant, advanced, throwing the elephant. Of course the real lesson/point of the book for us all is, are we being an elephant? I wonder what my staff and partners would say?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throwing the Elephant.

Finished Reading