Lars-Christian Elvenes's Reviews > Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Aug 04, 2011

liked it

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a very different type of books compared to most books I read, and it was very interesting.

Understanding Comics is written as a Comic, for the most part in black and white, with the exception one section. Even though the book is getting a few years old, it has a lot to offer.

Scott McCloud takes the reader through several perspectives of comics, from the history of comics, the use of symbols, the different types of drawing (American comics vs. Japanese manga), the use of lines, and (as mentioned) color.

I found the transition from images to comic to symbols and the relationship between the different stages, and how that has inspired and influenced comic styles in different parts of the world.

I was recommended this by a designer, and if that's your area, definitely take look. If, like me, you're not in design, I really think it's breath of fresh air. Take a look at it. It's about 200+ pages, comic style, so it won't take a long time either, even if it's not your cup of tea. Go for it
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Understanding Comics.