MrsJoseph's Reviews > The Seeress of Kell

The Seeress of Kell by David Eddings

Mar 15, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-reading-challenges, fantasy, re-read
Read 8 times. Last read December 21, 2017 to December 27, 2017.

*This review contains spoilers for the previous books in the series as well as very light spoilers for this book.

Getting to the end of this series always makes me feel a bit pensive. Of course, since there are 11 books (total) in the Belgariad and the Mallorean, I see another re-read in my near future.

I have to say that I’m starting to think that The Seeress of Kell is my favorite book in this five book series. There’s so many parts that I just get a kick out of.

I love the bromance between Belgarion & 'Zakath. I love how Garion keeps asking 'Zakath "are you sure you're not an Arend?" LOL! During the previous series Garion only had Ce'Nedra as a real friend and all the others were much, much older than he and always in a position of authority over him.

Another one of my favorite parts is everything Dal Pevior (sp?). I adored basically every moment of that. :-D

I also love everything with the wolves. My only issue with the wolves is that Eddings (once again) directly contradicts himself! Supposedly it impossible for wolves to lie because you cannot lie in thought. The wolf was shocked when she learned the man-things can tell untruths. Ok, so this is a rule. Not possible to lie. So why does Eddings show the female wolf lying quite often?! (view spoiler)

I wish [Eddings] would just make up his mind!

Not to forget my women characterization theme, let’s take a look at Vella. Vella is a Nadrak woman who is currently owned by Yarblek (Silk’s Nadrak partner). Vella is described as heartbreakingly lovely and extremely feisty. She typically dresses in tight leather pants with a tight leather vest and her multiple daggers on display. Occasionally Vella dresses in thin (almost translucent) Malloreon dress in order to dance (almost all Nadrak women dress this way to dance – and all the dances are for the entertainment of [large] groups of men. Supposedly this dance (which ends with a sensual strut) shows the woman’s power.) *rolls eyes*

The factor was a squinty-eyed Nadrak name is Zelmit, who was probably almost as untrustworthy as he looked. Vella had never really liked him and she customarily loosened her daggers in their sheaths whenever she came into his presence, making very sure that he saw her doing so to be certain that there would be no misunderstandings. Technically, of course, Vella was one of Yarblek's possessions, and Zelmit had a reputation for making rather free with the things that belong to his employer.
P317 Omnibus Edition

Since the age of 12, she had always relied on her daggers to ward off any unwanted attention. Although she had seldom been obliged to kill anyone – except for a few enthusiasts – she had nonetheless established a reputation for being a girl no sensible man would attempt. Sometimes that rankled a bit, though, since there were times when Vella might have welcomed an attempt. A nick or two in some unimportant places upon an ardent admirer would sustain her honor, and then – well, who knows?
P319 Omnibus Edition

Moving on from Vella, let’s revisit Zandramas. As I mentioned (in a previous review), there appears to be some sort of parallel between promiscuity, nudity and being a woman antagonist. I feel like I’m not saying that right but hey, you get the drift. In almost every situation where there is a woman who isn’t Light, she’s also “a slut.” Good to know.

When a demon was compelled to confess who he was “working for,” he replied…
"[redacted] and I contended with each other, in truth, but our contention was not on behalf of mad Urvon or sluttish Zandramas."
P438 Omnibus Edition

When Zandramas has a chance to try to beguile Belgarion into becoming a traitor to the Light, she immediately offers him sex:

"...[Belgarion] canst put aside thine earthly wife, who is not, after all, human, and thou and I could mate. Thou couldst father a race of gods upon me, Belgarion, and we could sate each other with unearthly delights. Thou wilt find me fair, King of Riva, as all men have, and I will consume thy days with the passion of the gods, and we will share in the meeting of Light and Dark."
P444 Omnibus Edition

Of course, you almost never see slut shaming without the required consequences. In this situation, after Zandramas is defeated, she is stripped naked in front of her enemies. I felt that was overkill, to be honest. She’s already defeated – so why is it necessary to strip her naked? Are we just rubbing salt in the wound? I do concede that it wasn’t difficult to strip her naked – Eddings had her wearing only her Grolim robe (but it’s satin!) for the entire series.

Zandramas shrank back even more. "Don't touch me," she said.

"It is not thee I would touch, Zandramas , but thy raiment. I would see thee receive thy reward and thine exaltation." Poledra tore back the satin hood and ripped the black robe away. Zandramas made no attempt to conceal her nakedness, for indeed, there was no nakedness.
Omnibus Edition

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seeress of Kell.

2011 – Started Reading