Melindam's Reviews > The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

bookshelves: crime-detective-fiction, uno-2017

I admit that I am not a great fan of contemporary detective fiction. I find most books are too grim, even perverted with gratuitous violence, or unnecessarily long-winded with too much forced, fake-philosophical contemplation from detectives instead of actual action.

So I am happy to say that I enjoyed JKR's debut detective novel a lot. The minus 1 star is for the writing, which had a superfluity of totally awkward metaphors & "artistic" descriptions & over-complicated sentences. This grated a bit at the beginning, but as the story slowly, but surely drew me in, I forgot about them.

The private detective, Cormoran Strike, was created along the much too-obvious cliche-panels of the contemporary mystery genre: ex-soldier with a past & the scars of war (a missing leg), neglected child of an uncaring mother (the rock-star father is a bit of an unexpected, but good touch), at the brink of a dysfunctional relationship, who smokes & drinks. Yet, to my surprise, I found him really likeable. His assistant, Robin was a refreshing ray of sunlight that is normally not allowed to dwell in this type of fiction, so well done, JKR.

The investigation of the crime is classically & nicely built-up: you get the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to put the whole picture together. You are gradually introduced to the circle of potential perpetrators and presented with possible motives for the murder as you learn about the personality and background of the victim. JKR places her clues inconspicuously along with the red herrings, but you can pick them up & discover the real motive fairly early in the narrative, if not the person of the murderer. Yet, the story remains interesting till the very end.

I will most definitely read the next book of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cuckoo's Calling.

March 15, 2017 – Shelved
March 22, 2017 –
page 100
March 22, 2017 –
page 200
44.54% "Characters undoubtedly built up from a bunch of clichés, but are still very likeable. A nice intriguing read, so far."
March 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine from How Useful It Is I love her writing in Harry Potter so I'm most curious about this series. I'm glad you enjoyed the read still and I look forward to reading it too. Excellent review!

Melindam Thank you, Jasmine! :) I love the 1-4 HP books, but was rather disappointed with the last 3, so I was a bit reluctant to pick up this one. However, I am so glad I did.

message 3: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny What you said in the first paragraph is exactly my thoughts. I am tempted to use this in one of my reviews :)

Melindam I am flattered! :)

McKenzie Allyshia I had the exact same thoughts about The Cuckoo's Calling! I loved the story line and the investigation, however some of the descriptions and complicated sentences had me floundering.

Melindam Yes. And it continues in the next book. I am enjoying the story so much but the metaphors she uses are as useless as ridiculous.

McKenzie Allyshia I definitely agree! Either I got a little more used to it or she toned it down a bit, but I feel the further in the series I got the easier they were to read without me either laughing or rolling my eyes at the complicated sentences and descriptions.

Matt So glad you liked it. I especially enjoyed the third one in this series.

message 9: by Melindam (last edited Nov 13, 2017 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melindam I have yet to read Book 3, but I also liked The Silkworm a lot.