Books 'n' All Promotions's Reviews > The Lost Children

The Lost Children by Helen Phifer

This is the first book by Helen Phifer that I have read so was unsure what to expect but loved the synopsis so was very optimistic. The book far exceeded my expectations and I found it totally gripping from the first page. Luckily it has short chapters so I was able to read 'just one more'.

The story focusses around an Asylum, in particulaur Ward 13 where the children were ill-treated by a sadistic nurse and a doctor who was bullied by her. It was in the period when lobotomies were regularly performed on the mentally ill along with other controversial treatments.

Lucy is a tragic character who has just returned to work after a particularly harrowing case which, along with problems with her home life, resulted in her being signed off work. She is thrown in at the deep end as soon as she returns to work with the first dead body and they keep stacking up. She is a complex character that develops well throughout the book as she struggles to keep on top of everything.

Mattie is Lucy's partner and is in a relationship with an older woman that he tries to keep secret from Lucy with almost tragic consequences. The relationship between the two is excellent and really fits in with the story. There are many different and unusual twists and turns throughout the story that keeps the reader totally gripped.

I absolutely love the ending where the loose ends are all tied up very nicely with many shockers thrown in. I especially love the way the relationship between Lucy and Browning develops. It is a very gripping story with realistic characters and I am hoping for many more books in the series.

Well worth the 5 stars.

Thank you to Netgalley who provided me with a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

#netgalley #thankspublishers #bookouture #5stars #psychologicalthriller

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Children.

March 14, 2017 – Started Reading