V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE: A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you's Reviews > Captive Prince

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
31006810
TRIGGER WARNINGS ALERT Stay away from this one if you prefer safe reads. Don't read my review if the word "rape" makes you unconfortable, because I use it a lot, because this book has a lot of that.

description
I don't recommend this if you feel uncomfortable reading about:

Pedophilia (view spoiler)

Rape and Sexual violence (view spoiler)

No romance (view spoiler)

Stockholm Syndrome (view spoiler)

Extreme violence (view spoiler)

Double standards So Christian Grey gets the sh*t here in GR although he NEVER raped ANA, (although, to be honest he pushed her consent, but NEVER raped her) yet Laurent gets nothing but praise??? So dubious consent, sexual violence, and rape are okay when the characters are male? NO JUST NO!! That's not feminist at all, that's not fair. If the main character had been Princess Damiana everyone and their dog would be screaming murder. "Oh the abusive relationship in romance!" But because the victim is a male then it's okay? How is that fair?

Unsafe reads This is supposedly a slow-burn-romance between two males, but there's a lot of cheating and disloyalty. (view spoiler)

I'm not the most articulated, coherent reviewer, so I invite you to read these reviews if you want more info on the problematic issues of this book.

Cait's review
Lainey's review

This book makes me angry. The writing is exquisite and clever, but it's the most disgusting portrayal of an M/M relationship. Contrary to what this book portrays, Homosexual Men have healthy, committed relationships . This is not the best book to portray diverse couples, because, as it is, a lot of people think wrongly that homosexuality and bisexuality are against nature and that Bisexuals and Homosexual aren't capable of loving, committed relationships. This book only re-inforces the idea of sexually "degenerated" characters. In real life gay people aren't like this. Not at all.

I gave two stars to the sequel because the graphic rapes aren't present. It's cleverly written and it's addictive, but it's still a harsh read because poor Nicaise. It's not fair what happened to him.

Final note: There are reviewers here in GR who praise this book to no end, and yet get all angry and write rants about romances like Twilight, Hopeless, FSOG, Beautiful disaster and other romance books of the romance genre. At time it feels like some of those reviewers are trying to make the people who enjoy, for example, FSOG bad with themselves because "they are supporting a book that portrays an abusive relationship". Yet they go and praise this very abusive book.

This isn't about me having a problem with the people who like this book. I think it's okay if people enjoy this kind of books because

* Everyone has different tastes and opinions and all opinions are equally valid. You enjoy this book? That's fine.
* WE ALL ARE SMART! WE ALL KNOW HOW TO DIFFERENTIATE REALITY FROM BOOKS. We all know that In real life rape is wrong. The people who love this book to death aren't supporters of rape, this is just a book. But just like the the captive prince fanbase knows the difference between reality and books, the FSOG fanbase knows better than go and get themselves in abusive relationships because of a book.

My problem is when the double standard comes:Contrary to popular GR belief the people who enjoy books that portray abusive M/F relationships are as smart as the people who enjoys Captive prince. Just saying.

So anyone who enjoys FSOG or any other bad-reviewed romance, but never says it aloud for fear of how their opinion will make them look in a site like GR where people trash "abusive relationship" books, should say it aloud. Most of FSOG bashers are top reviewers who praise this rape-fest so there's nothing wrong with liking FSOG or any other poorly-reviewed romance.

If you like me feel unconfortable reading certain topics, ignore most of the 5 star reviews, very few of them mention the problematic issues of this book and most lack trigger warnings. Read some 3 stars reviews and some triggers warnings before deciding if this book is for you or not.
155 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Prince.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

September 14, 2016 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
March 14, 2017 – Shelved
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: abusive
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: antifeminist
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: cliffhanger
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: disloyal-hero
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: dark
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: ew
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: excruciating
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: greatwriting
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: misogynist
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: misogynism
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: mysoginist
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: no-thank-you
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: non-possessive-hero
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: overrated
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: own
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: pedophilia
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: pleasegrowupman
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: sex-scenes
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: unsafe-read
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: war
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: rape-fest
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: rape-isn-t-sexy
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: interracial
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: graphic-scenes-of-rape
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: homophobic
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: racist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)


message 1: by Mojo_Mama (new)

Mojo_Mama I will avoid the shit out of this. I have to admit I also hated FSOG...because EL James couldn't write her way out of a paper bag and that completely took away from the story for me.


lacy [lacy’s library] I totally appreciate this review for sure. Makes me think about whether or not I still want to read it. I wonder if the people who liked this but had problems with 50 Shades also liked Anne Rice's Beauty series. I am gathering it's the same concept. (sex slavery essentially) Makes me curious. I enjoyed 50 Shades and Beauty. I am glad that you say that people can like a book even if it's problematic in the eyes of others. I often struggle with the fact that there are several books I really enjoyed but they get bashed so hard and the people who like them get bashed. It makes me feel bad for liking a book, ya know?


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Mojo_Mama wrote: "I will avoid the shit out of this. I have to admit I also hated FSOG...because EL James couldn't write her way out of a paper bag and that completely took away from the story for me."FSOG writing is very bad, but at least Christian never cheated, and never forced ana.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you lacy wrote: "I totally appreciate this review for sure. Makes me think about whether or not I still want to read it. I wonder if the people who liked this but had problems with 50 Shades also liked Anne Rice's ..."

I hated the beauty series. I couldn't finish the first book of that series. I don't think FSOG fans like the beauty series.


message 5: by Mojo_Mama (new)

Mojo_Mama I agree Veronica about the cheating. It's why I finally read the trilogy. I didn't have issues with H, tho h was a bit TSTL. But the writing...OMG...just spare me. LOL


message 6: by Vintage (new)

Vintage Talk about taking one for the team. Occasionally a 1 star review will interest me in reading a train wreck, but rape and humiliation aren't for me.


message 7: by Katerina (new)

Katerina This is a really nice review Veronica, and your concerns are not without validity because there does seem to be an obvious trend for double standards.


message 8: by M. (new)

M. THANK YOU! This has been in my TBR list for like forever but I never really wanted to touch it. The topic reminded me too much of Acheron and that was book that made me sick. I'll be skipping it for sure.


message 9: by Barbara➰ (new) - added it

Barbara➰ Honestly, I'm tired of rape in books period whether is MM or MF. I find nothing romantic about rape and usually the character raped is "recovered" when a magic dick comes along within days. It's hard enough to face these things in RL I don't need them in my romance book. And it certainly seems this is a double standard here in that it's "okay" because it's MM. I love MM books but would never be able to read this especially if the "love interest" allows these things to happen. Again, not romantic. Thanks for your review.


Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. SPOT ON V! I can't stand the double standard b.s.


✨    jamieson   ✨ I have no interest in this book, people romanticise it so much and talk about how """"cute"""" the main characters are it's gross. Abuse is not cute. Imo lots of the hype comes from people fetishising gay relationships.


message 12: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ Fantastic review, love! But that's a no go for me. xo


message 13: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Ugh this sounds awful.


JewelsyGoolsy Good on you for your honesty and point of view. I'm still curious to read this one but will go into it with more caution, now that I've read all your spoilers. Fantastic review, mate xxx


message 15: by KAS (new)

KAS Thanks for the trigger warnings, Val ;) xox


message 16: by Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) (last edited Mar 18, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) You make so many excellent points in this review V that I can't quote them all. Wonderful review. Thanks so much. I'm adding it to my fav of the week list.

And... is this a YA book or does the title and cover just look like it's YA?


message 17: by Hem_Ana (new)

Hem_Ana """So dubious consent, sexual violence, and rape are okay when the characters are male? NOT BUYING IT!! That's not feminist at all, that's not fair. If the main character had been Princess Damiana everyone and their dog would be screaming murder. "Oh the abusive relationship in romance!"But because the victim is a male then it's okay? How is that fair? """"
I love this point.. I totally agree with you.. Thats not feminist at all


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Mojo_Mama wrote: "I agree Veronica about the cheating. It's why I finally read the trilogy. I didn't have issues with H, tho h was a bit TSTL. But the writing...OMG...just spare me. LOL"

I agree too many inner goddesses. But I'd rather read inner godess stupidity than an abusive portrayal of male on male sex.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Vintage wrote: "Talk about taking one for the team. Occasionally a 1 star review will interest me in reading a train wreck, but rape and humiliation aren't for me."

Or for me!!! I enjoy books like Easy, The V Girl or hopeless because they aren't about rape and humilliation, but about love even though the themes are similar to Captive Prince's. They are jut written with good taste and an understanding of what victims go through. If c aptive prince were anything like that it'd be perfect because the writing is great.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Katerina wrote: "This is a really nice review Veronica, and your concerns are not without validity because there does seem to be an obvious trend for double standards."

Double standards are the worst.!!


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you M. wrote: "THANK YOU! This has been in my TBR list for like forever but I never really wanted to touch it. The topic reminded me too much of Acheron and that was book that made me sick. I'll be skipping it fo..."

I wish I had skipped it.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Barbara➰ wrote: " I find nothing romantic about rape and usually the character raped is "recovered" when a magic dick comes along within days. "

Best comment ever!!! Rape is not romantic.... like at all!!! Some books like Easy and The V girl touch the subject but never try to make it romantic, they call it like it is: SICK AND DISGUSTING, not sexy at all.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. wrote: "SPOT ON V! I can't stand the double standard b.s."

Double standards are the worst.


✎Stacey "The One Night Biter" Awesome review... even though M/M Romance Genre is not my cup of tea (F/F either) I appreciate an honest review. And I am one of the people that read FSOG and got bashed on for reading for the first one and the 2nd one. Thanks for being the voice that some of us are "afraid" to use because of the backlash that we'll get...


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you jamieson wrote: "IAbuse is not cute."
I know!

Imo lots of the hype comes from people fetishis..." I guess it's mostly the lack of mainstream sexy M/M. Practically every M/M I read is self-pub or fanfiction.
I do enjoy gay fetish stuff once in a while, but I need CONSENTING cute, swoon worthy guys who act like decent people. If laurent had been a woman abusing a men, or Damianos a princess abused by a man people would hate the book.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Steffi wrote: "Fantastic review, love! But that's a no go for me. xo"

I hope I helped.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Ana wrote: "Ugh this sounds awful."

Yet, the writing is exquisite and well-crafted. I wish the author had used her talent to portray a sexy M/M book.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you JewelsyGoolsy wrote: "Good on you for your honesty and point of view. I'm still curious to read this one but will go into it with more caution, now that I've read all your spoilers. Fantastic review, mate xxx"

Thanks Jewel!! I'd love to read your review. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you KAS wrote: "Thanks for the trigger warnings, Val ;) xox"

Thanks Kay? ;)


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) wrote: "You make so many excellent points in this review V that I can't quote them all. Wonderful review. Thanks so much. I'm adding it to my fav of the week list.

And... is this a YA book or does the tit..."


This is an adult fantasy, but Pacat is writing a book in the "YA" genre. I'll bet you it'll be like ACOMAF, like too sexy for younger readers but still labeled YA for monetary reasons.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Hem_Ana wrote: ""I love this point.. I totally agree with you.. Thats not feminist at all ."

Thanks! A true feminist fights for equality, not for double standards.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you ✎Stacey "The One Night Biter wrote: "Awesome review... even though M/M Romance Genre is not my cup of tea (F/F either) I appreciate an honest review. And I am one of the people that read FSOG and got bashed on for reading for the firs..."

Stupid people. I get bashed all the time because I love twilight. People shouldn't be called out on their tastes in books! If it's okay to like garbage like captive prince, it's okay to like FSOG. At the very least FSOG was never meant to be a serious book and Ana, a grown woman, agreed to everything Christian did to her.


message 33: by Monique (new)

Monique V Amazing review!


message 34: by Kriss (new)

Kriss There's some (I mean very little) good and bad (I mean LOTS) in the book; I think that writing about M/M relationships is good and I think a story about M/M abuse is also good (if written in a "lets have a conversation" way and not a "let's make it romance!" way) and I think that's part of the draw--it's appealing to a niche that's not as saturated as its counterpart, especially with a more fictional, fantasy element--but the biggest issue is that this is ultimately a fetishizing book written for straight women obsessed with M/M ships and appeals to the same sort of people who read those XXX yaoi manga (it honestly wouldn't shock me if the author is a yaoi fangirl) that have like really disturbing depictions of S/M relationships and all that kind of icky stuff.

In the end, it's not about the romance or really even the characters relationships or making any worthwhile statement regarding the dichotomy of abuse or anything: it's about the sexual appeal of putting two male characters together in all sorts of situations and fetishishing and sexualizing the hell out of everything--even if that means writing abuse and horrible things with a positive spin so readers go "god, that's hot! more!" This book's ultimate goal is to create a fantasy situation where readers get to squeal over the mental imagery of one attractive man doing sexual/dominating things towards another attractive man.

In all honesty, the basis is very dehumanizing in the end--these characters are more their physical appearance and sexual orientations/behaviors than they are people--and the author made choices that turned the ideas from something that could have been worthwhile (like the MC surviving and overcoming the trauma of his experiences and exploring the psychology of an abuser/victim relationship and using this as a platform for male victims of sex crimes or you know, pretty much anything that wasn't "this guy abuse/rapes this other guy A LOT but it's hot so it's fine and good!!!") into another gross fetishizing book.


message 35: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ Great review, Veronica. :)


message 37: by Lara xoxo (new) - added it

Lara xoxo great review. never disappoint us. truly amazing xoxo


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you As always you make very valid points Kriss:
Kriss wrote: "I think a story about M/M abuse is also good (if written in a "lets have a conversation" way and not a "let's make it romance!" way)"


Exactly!!! Pacat is a very talented author with awesome ideas. She could have done this like a sexy M/M version of Lauren Halderson's speak or like Tammara Webbers easy, only on a fantasy world.


I think that's part of the draw--it's appealing to a niche that's not as saturated as its counterpart, especially with a more fictional, fantasy element--but the biggest issue is that this is ultimately a fetishizing book written for straight women obsessed with M/M ships and appeals to the same sort of people who read those XXX yaoi manga (it honestly wouldn't shock me if the author is a yaoi fangirl)

Again my friend you're right on the money. I think Pacat likes her share of violent yaoi.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Kriss wrote: " it's about the sexual appeal of putting two male characters together in all sorts of situations and fetishishing and sexualizing the hell out of everything--even if that means writing abuse and horrible things with a positive spin so readers go "god, that's hot! more!" "

GR Gods seriously, where's the "like" button in comments as good as this one, uh?

Have you read the claiming of sleeping beauty series? I read it in a time in my life when I thought it was a dishonor DNF a book. I finished book 1 and never finished book 2, but I think the people who like those books might enjoy this one better. The writing is way much better and I think this book is better if they want to explore the psycology of victim/abuser relationships.I honestly don't want to unless the book makes a statement of how horrible abuse is on males. I bet you that some male abuse survivors have had it worse than some female victims. Because society expects that something like that never happens to a man, like maybe he shouldn't be overpowered or something. I underestand why this is used as a fetish. I just don't have to like it and I'll warn my friends who feel uncomfortable reading stuff like that. If they're going to read this, they should know what they're getting into.


message 40: by Kriss (new)

Kriss Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: Have you read the claiming of sleeping beauty series? "
I have not! But if it analyzes things critically and used as a platform to say "this is what abuser/victim relationships are" and isn't just "abuse is hot and so romantic" then I'll definitely look into the books!

Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: I understand why this is used as a fetish. I just don't have to like it and I'll warn my friends who feel uncomfortable reading stuff like that. If they're going to read this, they should know what they're getting into. "

I think even if the overall idea isn't your thing, this is just a gross book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone personally just because of the way it handles everything. There are right ways and wrong ways to handle these subjects that can suit every writer and their goals and in this case, the author handled it all very poorly.

At best, I can say that this would be a piece to look at objectively, maybe use in research of social mindsets in the populace regarding M/M relationships and the subject of abuse in romance, but as a piece of fiction to enjoy, as something so popular as to have cultural impact? It really just is too gross. And while readers may get "this is fiction" media does affect society's way of thinking/acting (for example, the movie Jaws is widely responsible for the fear culture around the animal that's sparked tens of thousands of sharks killed every year around the world; after Jaws, people were suddenly afraid of an animal that honestly kills fewer people every year than knocked-over vending machines) and normalizing anything like abuse or rape is very dangerous. I'd just sooner tell everyone "if you want a fantasy M/M romance or a book that covers the subject of abuse, there are far better books."

I mean, I wouldn't screech DON'T READ IT at anyone, but I'd definitely be sure to let them know exactly why I have my feelings and why I advise against reading it (or at least PAYING to read it) and to let people know, as you said, what they ought to expect if they are going to open this can of worms.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Kriss wrote: "Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in ""
I have not! But if it analyzes things critically and used as a platform to s..."


Neeh! It's just another rape-fest with poor writing and no plot. At least Pacat knows how to weave her plots.

I wouldn't screech DON'T READ IT at anyone, but I'd definitely be sure to let them know exactly why I have my feelings and why I advise against reading it (or at least PAYING to read it) and to let people know, as you said, what they ought to expect if they are going to open this can of worms.

Neither would I. I don't like it and the themes of this book that shouldn't be handled like Pacat did are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to me, due to past experiences, but if there's something I hate is telling people don't read it. That's just childish, some people love this book, I'm just not one of them and I'm sure the safety gang would prefer to know more of this.

Thankfully I didn't pay for this. It's overpriced above all.


message 42: by Kriss (new)

Kriss Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote:"Neeh! It's just another rape-fest with poor writing and no plot."

Then I will be avoiding like The Plague.

There's a definite difference between trying to forbid someone outright (which usually lacks any justification) and just saying "my advice is to not bother with it because___" and I think someone people, in their dislike, get too zealous and forget that. At the end of the day, everyone's free to do as they please and will.

Though with a subject like this, I'm a little more on the side of "trust me, just don't" because it's not really a preference thing like "I wish the heroine hadn't been so naive!" or "I don't like that this is first person" but a matter of conscience regarding the treatment of some very serious topics.

Otherwise, I tend to also take the approach of "here's some concerns, things you should know, what I did and didn't like; go forth and make an informed decision on whether to read or not!" because my deal-breakers with a book won't apply to everyone and I can't expect everyone to share my tastes. At best, I can hope my review is helpful.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Kriss wrote: "
Though with a subject like this, I'm a little more on the side of "trust me, just don't" because it's not really a preference thing like "I wish the heroine hadn't been so naive!" or "I don't like that this is first person" but a matter of conscience regarding the treatment of some very serious topics.."


That's true. Why we should be supporting this kind of book? Like the author will keep doing this and the publishing companies don't care if they're promoting negative messages as long as they make money.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Tania Stevenson-Noyes wrote: "great review. never disappoint us. truly amazing xoxo"

Thanks Tania!


Karen Good points on double standards.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Karen wrote: "Good points on double standards."

Double standars are the worst! I mean what's true for an EL James or any other trashy erotica novel also applies to this book. The thing is that most GR reviewers are way more anal when they review M/F romance: like the relationships should be more idealistic or something. It's like some GR reviewers assume romance readers aren't smart enough to know the difference between real life abuse or a novel. But they assume that One hundred years of solitude, captive prince, t and game of thrones fans know better and they don't bash the authors on their use of pedophilia and rape.


Vicky I usually agree with your reviews, but I guess Captive Prince isn't for everyone. You should read Kings rising, you'll understand Laurent and his motivations. Laurent is a product of his time and my favorite character ever.


V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Vicky wrote: "I usually agree with your reviews, but I guess Captive Prince isn't for everyone. You should read Kings rising, you'll understand Laurent and his motivations. Laurent is a product of his time and m..."

I read the spoilers, I don't think I can dive into that world again.


message 50: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Super review, Veronica! Sorry for the bust! Hope your next read is much better! xoxo


« previous 1
back to top