Bruce Gargoyle's Reviews > Night Shift

Night Shift by B.R.  Myers

I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Daniel is drawn to Willard's Departmnt Store and takes a job there as a night guard, despite the rumours of ghosts and colleagues betting on how soon he'll quit. What Daniel discovers is far more interesting than any silly ghost story and might just provide the answers to some family mysteries.

I was really in the mood for some creepy, atmospheric horror - or at least paranormal - when I requested Night Shift and while there are some aspects of the story that I praise for being original and unexpected, this wasn't atmospheric or paranormal in the slightest. Daniel is a solid protagonist around which to build a narrative - he has a fascinating past, he seems like a reliable narrator and generally I wanted him to succeed against whatever foes were lurking in the dark of Willard's. In the interests of an exciting story, I also wanted him to have the absolute willies scared out of him at least once...and preferably multiple times...during the story so that I could live vicariously through him.

This isn't that kind of book. It's not a ghost story in the typical sense of the word (or even at all) and while it does have a fantastic twist that I didn't see coming - but admittedly, probably should have, if I'd used my puzzling-things-out brain (more about this later)- there is far too much in-between filler that sucks the suspense out of the story quicker than a recently serviced Dyson cyclonic. I felt like this book was at least a third longer than it needed to be and this is chiefly due to whacking great chunks of dialogue that doesn't progress the story, but exists, it seems, to develop character relationships that I felt were already quite solid.

The stringing out of the mystery went for so long that I very nearly put the book down before the twist had even happened. As I stumbled across the twist in the mystery, I wsa surprised enough to emit a little "Oh!" and quickly flick on in the hopes that the suspense and excitement would ramp up. Unfortunately, the author took the route of stretching things out to the extent that by the end I didn't really care about the whys of the plot and just wanted it all to be over.

Admittedly, there is a full and developed story toward the end of the book that links Daniel's past to his present situation and provides some feel-good moments and action scenes, but by then it was too late to salvage my interest. There are plenty of interesting and original things going on in Night Shift but because the first part of the book is so focused on ghosts, I had certain expectations of what the story was going to be about. The twist provided a momentary respite from those dashed expectations, and the thought that maybe there was going to be a more original take on the ghost gossip, but I just couldn't seem to get past my pre-conceived ideas of what the book was going to be in order to fully enjoy what it is. Night Shift turned out to be more focused on relationship building and romance than the paranormal/magical realism elements, and as regular readers of this blog know, I'm a sucker for the latter.

If you are looking for a story that is high on romance and budding relationships featuring an unexpected couple, you will probably find something to enjoy in Night Shift.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Shift.

March 14, 2017 – Started Reading