Mir's Reviews > The Way of Tarot: The Spiritual Teacher in the Cards

The Way of Tarot by Alejandro Jodorowsky

The true study of the Arcanum begins with the consistent order of the entire Tarot; every detail, tiny as it may be, begins from the links that connect all seventy-eight cards. To understand these myriad symbols, one needs to have seen the final symbol they all form together: a mandala.

My interest in the Tarot is not this intense. I find the symbolism interesting, and even more so the visual qualities. I had thought, given Jadorowsky's interest in the visual that there would be something worthwhile in terms of illustration, but in fact they are both minimal and generic.

However, the author's writing is certainly compelling, and the material about his life is fascinating. He worked with Marcel Marceau! He knew Leonora Carrington (Carrington was also fascinated by the Tarot and references it in many of her paintings).

Here's an, er, thing, they did together:

Recommended for those with a serious interest in either the Tarot or Jodorowsky's psyche.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Tarot.

March 13, 2017 – Started Reading
March 13, 2017 – Shelved
March 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat is that a still from the twilight zone?

message 2: by Warwick (new)

Warwick I used to have this book! It is awesomely strange. I threw out most of my tarot stuff, although I still have Barbara G Walker's gloriously batty The Secrets of the Tarot. This stuff is always good for rebooting your thought process on problems, I find.

message 3: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir Jan-Maat wrote: "is that a still from the twilight zone?"

No, it's a photo of Jodorowsky and Carrington enacting some theatrical.

message 4: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir Warwick wrote: "I used to have this book! It is awesomely strange. I threw out most of my tarot stuff, although I still have Barbara G Walker's gloriously batty The Secrets of the Tarot. This stuff i..."

Good to know! It wasn't what I was expecting or in the mood for, but I enjoyed the autobiographical parts and will go back and read the detailed card analysis another time.

message 5: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Oh! I actually just received this as a birthday gift. I took up tarot about half a year ago, and I admire Jodorowsky very much as a film director so I'm quite eager to dive into this!

message 6: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir He's an interesting writer. I think you'll enjoy it.