Lynn Pribus's Reviews > White Doves at Morning

Aug 03, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned
Read from August 03 to 07, 2011

Wanted to like this one since I've enjoyed his Robicheaux books. Evidently based on some ancestor, the book starts in New Iberia (home of Tabasco sauce) where we visited very many years ago. [Off-topic alert] Did you know they put tiny little bottles of Tabasco in GI C-rations -- way before the advent of MREs?

Anyway, his local yokels were too politically correct for the time ("Don't call them niggers, call them Negroes" and of course, the polite term at that time would have been nigras).

Also, and I realize it is difficult for historical fiction to sound authentic but not overly stilted and flowery, but the dialogue was just too contemporarily slangy. ("Well, consider the source." after being insulted) with too many other examples to list.

Then, too, there was everything but big capital letters announcing OUR HERO, VILLAIN, ROMANTIC INTEREST, PLOT COMPLICATION. Well, I was listening -- and a good reader, too -- so maybe there were visual announcements.

Anyway, it just didn't do it for me. Hope the next one is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Doves at Morning.