Holly's Reviews > Proof of Lies

Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach

6019502
To say I loved this novel would be to sell it short. I would give this 10 stars if I could. I fell into the story from the very beginning, and I stayed lost in it the entire time I was reading. At something like 400 pages, it was nice and meaty, and the plot took its time playing out, which is something I prize in a book (I can’t stand a rushed story). Although details were kind of slowly revealed, the reading experience was basically an adrenaline rush from the get-go. I felt my emotions going up and down right along with Anastasia’s, and at times I felt like *I* was in the middle of a spy thriller, rather than just reading one! I loved Anastasia from the first time we met, and I was with her 100% throughout. There honestly wasn’t a time when I was like, “Seriously? OMG, don’t do *that*!” or “Ugh, I hate it when characters say/do that!” or “No! Don’t kiss him! You *just* met him!” I’m serious, I had her back the entire time!

Now, I have been reading for a very long time - started reading at 2 1/2, and am almost 43 - and I have read a LOT of mysteries/spy thrillers in that time. Normally I can smell the ending from a mile away and have the suspects figured out in the very early chapters, even though I still mostly enjoy the reads. However, to find the rare story where I *didn’t* think I had everything figured out... well, that’s an amazing thing. It makes my enjoyment of the story that much higher, when the author manages to keep everything a mystery and even has me going after a few very well-placed red herrings. Proof of Lies is that book for me. It is really fantastic and such a thrill ride. I am confident that anyone who loves the mystery/thriller genre, especially in YA lit, will love this book as much as I do!

I also want to give a shout-out to Ms. Wallach for the use of actual historical details (which I didn’t know about ahead of time) and actual places (she’s visited every single place that’s featured in the novel). It’s obvious that she took great care to get details right, and I cannot stress how well that goes over with a reader. The details really do matter! Also, writing what you know can have a profound impact on the quality of your writing, and it is much appreciated by the reader. I also want to say, while I know she started writing this book long before the rise of our current leadership, the concept at the heart of the book resonates strongly in today’s political climate. I don’t want to say more than that, for fear of giving something away, which I very much do NOT want to do. Suffice it to say, old tricks can always become new tricks, repackaged by a different administration. Never thought it would be something we’d face in America, but... here we are. (And with that enigmatic ending, I shall leave you... bwahahahahaha!)

Long story short, READ THIS BOOK. I think everyone who reads it will love it, but you absolutely cannot pass it up if you are a fan of YA contemporary mystery/thrillers. It’s at least as good as - quite possibly better than - Julie Cross’ Eleanor Ames series, also released by Entangled Teen, so if you love that, read this! (and vice versa) I tell ya, Entangled Teen has been knocking them out of the park lately for me! Every single one of the last 5 or more I’ve read, I’ve loved.

Thanks so much to YA Reads and Entangled Teen for letting me take part in this blog tour, and to Entangled for letting me read an early copy of the ebook. I am so glad I read this, and I’m already ready for book 2! Bring it on!

Rating: 5 I’d-chase-this-book-around-the-world stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proof of Lies.

Finished Reading