Sara's Reviews > The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

I really wish I could write a multi-paragraph review of this book. But after the busyness of Christmas weekend, and then two unexpectedly crazy days at work, I don't have the mental energy or memory to do THE HATE U GIVE justice.

So here's what I do remember, and what's most important for anyone who reads this review to know:

Yes, THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas deserves all the attention and praise it has received this year. Why? Because it's honest. Because it's uncomfortable at times, but that's because it's meant to be that way. Because it provides a much-needed teenage perspective on the Black Lives Matters movement and current-day racial tensions in America, made all the more authentic by Starr's emphatic and refreshingly unfiltered narrative voice. Because it's about family and friendship, home and belonging, and finding your voice so you can speak the truth and stand up for what's right.

And for all these reasons, it's one of the most important books to come out this year. I wouldn't be surprised if THE HATE U GIVE starts appearing on "Books to Read In Your Lifetime" lists. It should, quite frankly. It's that amazing, that insightful, and that relevant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hate U Give.

March 13, 2017 – Shelved
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 17, 2017 – Started Reading
December 18, 2017 –
page 66
14.86% "Yay for *finally* getting around to reading this! Plus, it's already sending shivers down my spine."
December 19, 2017 –
page 163
36.71% "This story is electric. I just want to keep reading it, and reading it, and reading it, and..."
December 20, 2017 –
page 239
53.83% "Gosh, it's been YEARS since I've watched Fresh Prince of Bel Air. And now all the references to it here make me want to watch it again. :)"
December 21, 2017 –
page 323
72.75% "I love how Starr's mom and dad are so involved in this story. It's good to see supportive, loving, fiercely protective parents in YA."
December 22, 2017 –