Jason's Reviews > The Corrections

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

bookshelves: for-kindle, 2011, reviewed, thrill-me-chill-me-fulfill-me

Franzen’s writing is impeccable. Not only does his understanding of complex, familial relationships fascinate me, but his ability to capture these characters—all five of them, I might add—with such depth...I think that is what really drew me in as a reader. I mean, these are people who are so flawed emotionally and so utterly selfish inherently, and yet each of them has this capacity for loving one another even while recognizing their inability to stand each other for more than five minutes at a time: in a sense they are more human than most humans. And Franzen knows how to write a sentence, my God. All this book did was remind me why I love to read.

Honestly, I try to give five stars sparingly, but this one I fully endorse. I think what makes it better than Freedom is that I walked away from this with a knot in my stomach (I really felt something here!). Seven year-old Chip being left alone at the dinner table until it was late enough for him to fall asleep on his placemat bothered me. Juxtapose that with the tenderness Chip shows his dad toward the end of the novel, and you start to wonder whether this man was ever really the emotionally unavailable tyrant that you thought he was. Either way, this just serves as a huge reminder for me to appreciate the way things are now while my kids are still young, because it’s probably not always going to be this simple.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corrections.

August 3, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 10, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by s.penkevich (new) - added it

s.penkevich Your reviews are my antidote for work this afternoon

Jason I hear you! Whenever someone comes into my cube, I'm all "what the hell do you want? I'm busy reading reviews!" haha

Thanks, SP. :)

Cecily A great book, but for me, the Lithuanian subplot was irritatingly implausible and out of kilter with the rest of the book. Did I miss something?

Cheryl Rose great review!!!

Jason Thank you. :D

Victoria Ferguson Great review, thanks! I didnt get around to reading The Corrections until August this year, but oh my what a read! Sometimes I have a hard time getting on with books and movies that are hyped up and I dont move in on them until years later... Im so glad I did!
The book was funny and heartbreaking and complex and gruesome and tragic in one long inhale. You are right, life and relations gets more complicated as we go, but with the right foundation, they can grow in to a beautiful thing.
This will probably end up on my best books ever list...

Jason It's definitely on mine. I'm glad it affected you similarly. I've become a huge fan of Franzen because of this novel and Freedom.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just reviewed this guy's essays, which I liked, but I can't believe the diverse reactions that literate readers have to such a literate writer. I can't wait to read this for myself. But I tend to like literate writers, and if fireworks don't go off, I just assume it's me rather than blame the writer, acclaimed by so many others. But I really hope I love it like you did. I like to "like" books. It's the whole purpose of reading. So I try to go in with a positive attitude.

Jason Me, too. It's always such a disappointment when I find myself not enjoying something that I was initially so enthusiastic to start. And yeah, Franzen definitely seems kind of polarizing, but I love him. I look forward to seeing what you think when you finally get a chance to tackle him.

message 10: by Carey (new)

Carey Shea I love your review. Can wait to read it. It's in my to-read list. Your review makes me want to read it sonner than later.

Jason Thanks, Carey. This is one of my favorite books; I hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey Shea Thanks, Jason. I will be sure to read it soon. Thanks for your great reviews.

message 13: by Ada (new)

Ada Wang well done. thank you.

message 14: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I was ready to put this one down until reading your review...I am having trouble getting past Chip and I am only 100 pages in! I am going to continue on in hatred :)

Jason Some of the characters are pretty easy to hate, but I love this book in spite of that. Chip's story gets verrry interesting...but later! =)