Bandit's Reviews > The Changeling

The Changeling by Victor LaValle

Oh yes. That's what I'm talking about. This is the sort of book that reignites the passion for the genre. I've read LaValle's Devil in Silver, which I liked a lot, but this dark fairy tale for adults definitely takes the cake. And slaughters it. It starts off like many fairy tales do...nice and normal story of a man who realizes there's more to life than buying and selling books, proceeds to fall in love and start a family. Fatherhood agrees with him, all is dreamily well...until his perfect life comes to a violent crash. Now his baby's gone, his wife's gone, his world has been turned upside down and he's about to find out the wizardry behind the curtain of normalcy. Bring on witches, bring on trolls, bring on...well, changelings. Fairy tales were meant to be scary, before Disney and Co. got to them. Fairy tales were meant to be something along these lines. LaValle gets it right, though he throws is his innate race observations and there's the ubiquitous use of modern technology, it's otherwise something straight out of Brothers Grimm, though with a Scandinavian twist. There's a great dramatic story too, about fatherhood, marriage, responsibilities, love, trust and so much more. Awesome backstory, mixed in with the quintessential NY immigrant saga, because this is very much a NY tale. It would have probably worked without the supernatural aspect as just a suspense story, but evils lurking in a dark, dark forest are the proverbial cherry on top. Terrifically entertaining ride. Most enthusiastically recommended. For more troll fun see Trollhunter, for more changeling fun read Keith Donohue's Stolen Child. And do yourself a favor, put some electric tape on your computer's camera, because you never know. And maybe ease off on social media. Fairy tales, after all must have a moral, and a moral here is when you make yourself a visible entity, you can't control who sees you and what sort of attention you'll invite. Paranoid, sure. But what if they're really after you? This is a perfectly apt fairy tale for a digital age. Food for thoughts. Thanks Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changeling.

March 12, 2017 – Started Reading
March 12, 2017 – Shelved
March 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Wayong (new) - added it

Wayong The end of Trollhunter was the best part, eh?

Btw, you'd love John Bauer's art, if you aren't familiar with it already.

Char Bandit, does this book involve any overseas travel? I'm trying to see if I can make it fit a bingo game I'm playing.

Bandit I don't believe it does, Char. From what I remember it's NY based. And how on earth does a book fit into a bingo game?

message 4: by Char (last edited Jun 18, 2017 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char It's Booklikes-opoly! Though I'm failing miserably, I'm having fun with it. :)
Thanks for the quick response. I'm reading this anyway.

Char I spent $2.00 to roll again and I landed on Water Works. Does anyone in the book cry, due to an emotional event? Please say yes.

Bandit Well, now I feel compelled to say yes, though to be perfectly honest I can't remember. You know how many books I read. Anyway, doesn't someone always cry? Let's say yes.
That game is really something. Very inventive, thanks for the link.

message 7: by Char (last edited Jun 18, 2017 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char Bandit wrote: "Well, now I feel compelled to say yes, though to be perfectly honest I can't remember. You know how many books I read. Anyway, doesn't someone always cry? Let's say yes.
That game is really somethi..."

Thanks. I see there is an emotional event where it looks like something happens to his wife, so I'm going to go with the YES and I'll see what happens when I get to reading it.

I'm doing terribly with the game, because I'm booked up, (so to speak), with ARCS. So if I don't have an ARC that fits it, I'm stuck until the next roll.

Bandit Nah, you're playing it...that's already a win in my book. I can't commit to any of those things.
My favorite monopoly is ZombieOpoly, naturally :)

Char I haven't seen that!

Bandit It's the greatest thing in Monopoly world since...well, monopoly.

message 11: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit Looks like I'll have to put this book on my tbr list.

Stephanie Griffin I thought of Donohue's Stolen Child (which I loved) too as I was reading this. They're both great stories!

Bandit Agreed.