Debi Lantzer's Reviews > The Angels' Share

The Angels' Share by James Markert

I received the book, The Angels' Share by James Markert because I'm a Fiction Guild Elite Reader book review blogger. It wouldn't be my normal book genre if I were out shopping for a book, but nonetheless, it was worth a read.

The Angels' Share is a historical novel that is true to the times of the Prohibition and the Depression. William "Willie" McFee grew up in Twisted Tree, Kentucky. The McFee family is pretty well off financially even though the town itself is suffering the effects of the McFee family bourbon distillery being shut down by Prohibition. Willie's father, Barley doesn't seem to have any intent on reopening the distillery even though Willie is encouraging him to do so in order to achieve his dream of becoming a distiller as his grandfather had planned.

Then a drifter named Asher Keating shows up and he seems to be able to fix people's problems. He dies and is buried in the Potter's Field near the McFee distillery. Gossip begins to circulate about Asher performing miracles. Asher's grave starts getting lots of visitors who are praying at the site, and some strange things begin to happen it the town. Willie starts to investigate the situation and he discovers facts about what his father did during the Prohibition and things about the death of his younger brother. Willie begins to write stories about what he is uncovering and gets them published in a Louisville newspaper, causing all kinds of things to happen.

The characters in the book are well developed. The story is full of mystery and unanswered questions. The townspeople are representative of people caught in a difficult situation they cannot control. There are a lot of subplots in this storyline and they will definitely keep readers engrossed in this story.

I received a copy of this book without cost from the publisher through The Fiction Guild, a Thomas Nelson/Zondervan Elite Reader book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed in this post are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angels' Share.

Finished Reading