Sami's Reviews > Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

Apr 03, 2008

Recommended to Sami by: My Mum
Recommended for: Any one whos interested in music, or even neurology

I got this book for christmas from my mum who made all of my christmas presents music related. At first glance the book was pretty daunting due to its massive size, i know i wouldn't have even started it if i didn't have such a passion for music. Now that i have finished reading it though, it is one of the best books i have ever read. Its not really one definite story, instead its a collection of stories all focused around one topic, music and the brain. The great thing about this book is that within the topic, there are subtopics such as, "Fear of Music: Musicogenic Epilepsy" and "Speech and song: Aphasia and Music Therapy". This means that you can find the topics you are really interested and read those first, and then tackle the topics in between. This is the approach i took and i found that it helped me keep focus. Due to the heavy Neurological concepts introduced the book and get a little confusing but mostly all of it is explained. Also it helps to have maybe a little musical knowledge, there were some parts that i saw as confusing for those who don't know alot about music(Like the names of notes, what an octave is, etc. Overall i think this is a every interesting book and should be read by anyone who has ever wondered if music effects the brain. I guarantee that at least one thing is this book will change your perception on the importance of music in everyday life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Musicophilia.