Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness

Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer

liked it
bookshelves: sales

The beginning started like Glengarry Glen Ross and initially turned me off since I thought it was a book teaching old school sales techniques but thankfully it does get better. Here are the principles and what I thought about them.

## Kick your own ass
Yeah, well I wouldn’t be reading this book if I didn’t want to improve.

## Prepare to win, or lose to someone who is.
I feel like this is a no-brainer. You have to know what you are selling and what your competition is selling to get better.

## Personal branding IS sales: It’s not who you know, it’s who knows you.
Seems to be a good lesson in this and something that I have sort of built up over the last couple years. Definitely branding is important to sales.

## It’s all about value, it’s all about relationship, it’s not all about price.
People buy you as a person so focus on building a relationship. The relationship should lead to the sale not vice versa.

## It’s NOT work, it’s NETwork.
Seems pretty obvious that you need to talk and work with people include networking.

## If you can’t get in front of the real decision maker, you suck.
Be like Steve Jobs, not Woz. Have a great idea make it simple, and even simpler.

## Engage me and you can make me convince myself.
I think this is where the ~Challenger Sales~ comes in since that book is talking about challenging the customer to think about what it is that they are trying to do and show them a better way.

## If you can make them laugh, you can make them buy.
Well if you can make anyone laugh then you already have them thinking of you in a good light.

## Use CREATIVITY to differentiate and dominate.
You have to be creative within a framework though. This one is talking about different ways to approach sales which is not you talking, etc.

## Reduce their risk and you’ll convert selling to buying.
Make sales simple. Complex things are harder to sell. There was a lesson in Silicon Valley in this:

Richard Hendricks: Don't you think because they are such amazing sales people that it would be OK for them to sell the harder stuff?
Jack Barker: No, it does not work that way. The way you keep the best sales people is you need to give them something easy to sell. Otherwise they just go somewhere else.

## When you say it about yourself it’s bragging. When someone else says it about you it’s proof.
Testimonials seem to be the norm now.

## Antennas up!
Seems to be to follow the OODA loop and be a salesman at whatever stage and time.

## Resign your position as general manager of the universe.
Know you know nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Red Book of Selling.

March 12, 2017 – Shelved