Doug Banks's Reviews > The Race Underground: Boston, New York, and the Incredible Rivalry That Built America’s First Subway

The Race Underground by Doug Most

As a longtime Bostonian who rides the T daily, I found this book a fascinating history - and more importantly a remarkable lens through which we can evaluate the politics of transportation policy today. The rivalry between New York and Boston, in these pages, is much more one of "co-opetition" than a race, but it worked well from a narrative perspective and kept things from moving along.
The author, whose prose I've read for years in the Boston Globe and its special publications, does fall prey to spending a lot of time in the rich treasure trove of historical documents he finds, but manages to keep it interesting. (For example, the quotes and characters of the various public transit hearings at one point are, shall we say, abundant. It's almost like attending a real public hearing, and that's not a compliment...)
But overall this is an awesome book - well worth the read, and a must read for anyone, anywhere who takes a subway to work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Race Underground.

March 11, 2017 – Shelved