Devon's Reviews > Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

Plan B by Anne Lamott

Aug 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: biography-memoir, spiritual-life

Just a few passages that struck me:

The Church of 80% Sincerity (109-110)
-80% sincerity is about as good as it's going to get. So is 80% compassion. 80% celibacy. So 20% of the time, you just get to be yourself.
-This is contrary to everything society leads us to believe - that it's 100% or nothing
-In the Church of 80% Sincerity, everyone has come to understand that unconditional love is a reality, but with a shelf life of about 8 to 10 seconds. Instead of beating yourself up because you feel it only fleetingly, you should savor those moments when it appears.

"Rubble is the ground on which our deepest friendships are built. If you haven't already, you will lose someone you can't live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and you never completely get over the loss of a deeply beloved person. But this is also good news. The person lives forever, in your broken heart that doesn't seal back up. And you come through, and you learn to dance with the banged-up heart. You dance to the absurdities of life; you dance to the minuet of old friendships." (174)

"Jesus had an affinity for prisoners. He had been one, after all. He must have often felt anxiety and isolation in jail, but he always identified with the prisoners. He made a point of befriending the worst and most hated, because his message was that no one was beyond the reach of divine love, despite society's way of stating the opposite. God: what a nut." (182)

And a C.S. Lewis quote - "We do not truly see light, we only see slower things lit by it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plan B.