Hannah Smith's Reviews > The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912

The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 by Lauren Tarshis

U 50x66

bookshelves: elm-335-wow-books

I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 is an amazing historical fiction novel that I would primarily use in fourth grade. This novel is based on the true events of the Titanic while telling the story of a little boy George, his sister Phoebe, and their Aunt Daisy's journey back home to New York. George being a ten year old boy was naturally curious and loved to explore the ship, which caused some trouble when he decided to sneak into the first class baggage room hoping to find a mummy. When he returned to his room, he noticed his sister, who was not quite as good at directions, went looking for him just as a glacier hit the "unsinkable" ship. When George noticed this, him and his Aunt went franticly searching for her. This thrilling book takes you on the journey of surviving the Titanic with their new friends Enzo and Marco, a father and son from Italy. Marco and George set out in bravery to survive the unthinkable when they get split up from their families. Will they be reunited? This engaging novel is hard to put down and details the Titanic in a way like never before.

A way I could use this book in my classroom or other educators could it in theirs is to have this as an option for students to read from the "I Survived" series. By having students pick a book from this series to read, they can gain an understanding of the historical event by diving into a story that is engaging to read. The students could then research the historical event and compare the actual events with the story and either write a report on it or do a presentation. Another idea of how to include this book is to read this book as a read aloud throughout a week and then have students write another ending or way they think they would have survived the Titanic. Lastly, it could be used to talk about the character trait of bravery by having the students pick out and discuss how the characters were brave in order to survive this devastating event.

I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 was a wow book for me because it was a page turner, very engaging, and based on the Titanic, which has always been one of my favorite events to learn about. This book was well written and it shows how bravery can make the difference of survival. I loved how this book in the "I Survived" series engages the reader with a fictional story while its basis is on true events. I loved this book and hope to one day be able to use it in my classroom!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912.

Finished Reading