James's Reviews > Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-childrens, 2-fic-fantasy-and-scifi

Before I get into the review... it took me forever to go through all the editions of Peter Pan listed on Goodreads. While I suppose it's not too important to get the right version, I was shocked at how many there were, as well as that this was a longer series with multiple books. I guess I always knew that, but when I read it, it was just the Peter Pan book, which I believe was the third in the series. I could be wrong... nonetheless... wow... and it's review time and let's do some soaring...

There is so much I could say about this book. I could write a formal review. I could compare the story to the TV and film adaptions. I could cover the cartoons. BTW, the most interesting one for me was "Once Upon a Time's" portrayal of Peter. So dark... LOVED IT. But that said, to me, it's a children's tale with a huge primary lesson: We never want to grow up, but we have to...

And that's what I'll focus on. This book must be read to children a few times over the years. I'd start first when they are about 4 or 5, and then show the cartoon versions. Let them absorb it and think about it. And then again when they are 7 or 8, helping them understand what it means to grow up. And then again when they are about 12 or 13... and make them do a book report on it, even outside of school. It's a lesson that must be taught young.

Growing up is scary. But so is not growing up. There's a fine balance between finding the time to be free and open, enjoying life and staying away from one's fears. But you must also learn what is necessary to become a good, solid and functioning citizen of the society.

What I love about this story is the amount of interpretations you can absorb from the story, the characters, the setting and the action. Just when you think you've got them all down, another view point comes into play -- and you have to re-think what the moral purpose of the book is about.

Or did Barrie intend it to just be a fun trip for kids... I'm not so sure we'll ever know!

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Thanks for stopping by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Pan.

Started Reading
August 1, 1989 – Finished Reading
March 11, 2017 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-childrens
April 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-fantasy-and-scifi

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Karen Kay Nice blog

James Karen wrote: "Nice blog" Thank you!

Karen Kay I get such a kick out of Daniel Levy, Schitt's Creek is a funny show.

James Karen wrote: "I get such a kick out of Daniel Levy, Schitt's Creek is a funny show."

Love it. They all have the same facial expressions and I crack up every time.

message 5: by Emelia (new)

Emelia What a great review James! Have you read "Peter Pan in Scarlet" by Geraldine McCaughrean? It is wonderful !

James Emelia wrote: "What a great review James! Have you read "Peter Pan in Scarlet" by Geraldine McCaughrean? It is wonderful !"

No, I haven't seen that one. I will have to look it up. Is it a children's story or an adult adaption?

ijeoma Agbaje Fab review James :) . Recently read this, i totally get what you mean by each person coming out of reading the book with different view points, for my part i went with Pan being completely psychotic lol.. After reading it , i definitely had serious doubts on whether to classify it as a children's book.. It's quite dark really and for some reason no one ever talks about Peter's dubious character or moral code..

message 8: by James (last edited May 25, 2017 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

James Sade wrote: "Fab review James :) . Recently read this, i totally get what you mean by each person coming out of reading the book with different view points, for my part i went with Pan being completely psychoti..." I can see that, too. Have you seen Once Upon a Time? They went with a psychotic version of Peter Pan... you might like that story line. And thank you!

message 9: by Emelia (new)

Emelia James wrote: "Emelia wrote: "What a great review James! Have you read "Peter Pan in Scarlet" by Geraldine McCaughrean? It is wonderful !"

No, I haven't seen that one. I will have to look it up. Is it a children..."

It is a children's story, but a wee bit darker (?) as was Peter Pan IMO.....I really liked it and think you will as well. I think she did an excellent job with the book. Give it a try !

ijeoma Agbaje James wrote: "Have you seen Once Upon a Time? They went with a psychotic version of Peter Pan... you might like that story line. And thank you! .."
The TV series?? i usually just skip the show lol.. Yeah actually read a dark version of Peter Pan All Darling Children .. Pan is depicted as more blood thirsty there.

James Emelia wrote: "James wrote: "Emelia wrote: "What a great review James! Have you read "Peter Pan in Scarlet" by Geraldine McCaughrean? It is wonderful !"

No, I haven't seen that one. I will have to look it up. Is..."

Sade wrote: "James wrote: "Have you seen Once Upon a Time? They went with a psychotic version of Peter Pan... you might like that story line. And thank you! .."
The TV series?? i usually just skip the show lol...."

Thanks for both recommendations. I will look them up.