Lisa's Reviews > Ragtime

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow

Mar 22, 2017

bookshelves: books-i-own, high-school-reads, fiction, favorites, literature, botm-reads, botm-suggestions

Wow, what a story! It's a novel that is technically historical fiction, but the author integrates real people and events so accurately into his story that you can't even tell where historical facts end, and fiction begins!
The writing style reflects this feeling of reading a true story. There are no quotation marks anywhere, and the phrases are short and precise. It gives you the sense of a documentary or a history book, rather than your typical novel, yet the flow of novel feels extremely smooth, enough to keep you captivated from start to finish.
The story itself is sad, yet hopeful. You follow in the footsteps of multiple characters struggling to find purpose and happiness in their lives during the early years of the 20th century. It is beautiful, tragic, and captivating all at once.
This was a high school read that I never finished, and always wished I did. Now that I have, I find that this is one of those works of literature that will forever stay with you. I can't think of any more adjectives that can accurately describe what a gem this book is. All I can say is: if you haven't read this yet, put it on your TBR now, because it's a book worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragtime.

March 11, 2017 – Started Reading
March 11, 2017 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 –
page 91
March 13, 2017 –
page 91
28.44% "This was a high school read for me.....I'm surprised parents didn't object to their children reading this book.....but I'm really glad our teacher assigned it. I never finished it, but it stuck with me for years, and now I finally get to see how it'll end!"
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own