Stephan 's Reviews > Rivers of London

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

48197248

This book has magic in it! Yes, I know this is urban fantasy - I mean in the words. It's a combination of the british copper lingo and a sweet balance between a detective story, a guide into the spirit(s) of London and it's magical history and a pleasant british humour.

I was sucked right into the book from the very first pages, which was very pleasant after a little bit of literary resistance I had been encountering in my late choices.

Freshly baked Constable Peter Grant is on duty watching a murder site after it has been released from forensics and takes in a witness report - from a ghost. While he is dealing with his encounter and decides on not going insane the story unfolds.

Peter finds out that not only are ghosts and magic real, but they have an established history in the city and he can have a part in this world. The city rivers and their gods play a major role, as the booktitle suggests, and
there are vampires, ghosts and other creatures of the night.

I'm looking forward to the other parts of the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of London.

March 11, 2017 – Started Reading
March 11, 2017 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 –
page 20
5.1% "You know when you read just a page or two of a new book and you feel IT? There's magic in this writing for me! I'm not really so much into this brit (copper) lingo thing, but I'm totally going with it now. Hooray, let the ride begin!"
March 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Orient Great you liked it! Nice review, Stephan ;)

Stephan Thanks, Orient! I am enjoying writing short reviews, so much fun adding to the community :) I've never really been into social networks, but here with everything focusing on books - its great!

Orient Stephan wrote: "Thanks, Orient! I am enjoying writing short reviews, so much fun adding to the community :) I've never really been into social networks, but here with everything focusing on books - its great!"

Lol, you remind me, as I'm not into FB or other madness, too, but GR is really awesome :)

Adina Yes, this book has magic in the words.