Ana's Reviews > Gambit

Gambit by C.L. Denault

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopia, to-read-on-shelf

Gambit had a bumpy start for me because I could not take to the main character. She was made to be too much of a bad-ass - He planted a delicate kiss on my forehead, the one man in the room brave enough to dare such a thing, and went back to work. - and was manipulative of those who care about her (father, best friend, etc). I really didn't like that, although it played into the story. Still, she was just not someone I liked and that remained throughout the book.

Then there was the all too seen best friend who wants to be something more and the main character doesn't. At this point I was wondering what I had gotten myself into.

However, the prose is so engaging that next thing I knew I had read well more than half the book in one sitting and it was the wee hours of the morning. I had to force myself to stop because, you know, headache, blurry vision and so on.

There were quite a few characters, so I had to keep reminding myself who was who but after a while I got used to it and each had their own voice. This is a long book and I got a good idea how it was like for Willow in her life before all the madness happened and then with all the changes she endured.

The novel sets a new world well, where for some reason I kept hearing Hook from Once Upon a Time every time a villager spoke with their 'Aye' and addressing Willow as 'love' or 'lassie'. At the same time, it touches quite a few important issues, specifically human ambition and its potential consequences. Genetic manipulation and irreparable damage to the environment surely loom in today's future so to some extend this was pretty believable.

There were a few things I didn't get.

I didn't quite grasp the concept of the Surge. (view spoiler) I am hoping this and other things left unexplained will be addressed in further books.

I had major issues with the men in this book. (view spoiler)

I wanted to know the secondary characters better. (view spoiler)

I was sorry to see so much was left unexplained at the end of the book. I at least wanted to know what secret Reece was keeping.

All in all, Gambit was a fast-paced adventure that is sure to keep you entertained and there is enough tension that will keep you wanting to know what comes next. Personally, I needed more character and world development and a few clichés eliminated from the narrative to feel fully satisfied but I believe YA fans will enjoy it very much and do recommend it.

Disclaimer: I would like to thank the author of the book and the author of the blog that held this giveaway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gambit.

March 11, 2017 – Shelved