Pam's Reviews > Light Boxes

Light Boxes by Shane Jones

Aug 03, 2011

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

This story is beautifully written, and much of the prose reads very poetically, not so much in the sense of rhythm and rhyme, but more in the overall feel the words give you. When I first started reading it, I thought maybe it wasn't my type of book, but a couple pages later, I became very, very interested in both the plot and the characters. The book does get confusing at points. For example, February is a month/season as well as two separate characters.

The thing I love the most about this book is the visual appeal. Jones uses amazing descriptions that paint an wonderfully colorful picture in your mind's eye as you read, and it really helps the book come alive. Color is both visually representative as well as meaningfully symbolic, giving a nice duality to the descriptions. This book also contains many descriptive surprises: just when I felt like everything was bucolic, suddenly I'm faced with a scene of implicit horror, and the language of the descriptions alters seamlessly to reflect the gruesome as visually as the pastoral.

This is actually a piece that I'm planning on rereading in the near future because it is so perfectly visual, and it's rare for me to find a book that puts such a complete image in my mind's eye. Despite the fact that the book centers in part on seasonal depression and a sadistic writer, it's the kind of story that just sucks you in, and you really feel connected to the main character, Thaddeus.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys pure fiction and visualizing what they read. It's a very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light Boxes.