Steelwhisper's Reviews > Borrowing Blue

Borrowing Blue by Lucy Lennox

There will be spoilers below...

This book features

271 fuck and derivatives
89 ass
84 shit
41 damn
32 assorted vulgarities (bitch, slut, etc.)

and that's only the ones I looked for. In short, these two guys are pottymouthed like giggling teenagers, and just as attractive (not).

Indeed, the "teenager" verdict stays with this book, for the author's narrative and prose as much as for the characters. It's childish, super-melodramatic, it's clearly written by a female author trying hard, but never succeeding, to represent an adult male mindset, and - what is way worse - it is also, sometimes latently, sometimes directly, bi-phobic and misogynic. The alleged humour entirely bypassed me: I never found it to be funny. Instead the attempts at humour ended up giving me this "tooth-achey" feeling you have when you witness something stupid, done by someone you used to respect, and now want to be miles away. I think the neologism is "external shame". Ick.

The story itself is facile and non-believable, whether in set-up or in execution. I skimmed the many, very unerotic sex scenes pretty soon, and ended up skimming largish portions of narrative as well, the farther I got. It was all rather boring. As a bisexual/pansexual queer I would prefer if authors engaged a couple of bi/pan beta readers, of age groups above 30 as well please. How Tristan came to own up to his bisexuality was... offensive.

Not interesting. Not romantic. Unerotic.

Oh, and something I really, really hate: ex-wives who are painted being cold bitches, not wanting romantic relationships and children, in short, women who pushed away the poor bluidy weeny gay-bi-whatever-hunk into the arms of a sooo much better gay partner. Double-ick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Borrowing Blue.

March 11, 2017 – Started Reading
March 11, 2017 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: own-it-not-yet-read
March 11, 2017 –
17.0% "This has all the tired, old and bad tropes. But what really enervates me is how bi-phobic and bi-erasing this book about a bi-character is so far, and how misogynist (aka ex-bashing). And this is the latest height of m/m?"
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-bad
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: too-sweet
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: us-centric
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: vulgar-language
March 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG, so much this. Why is this author so popular? Her books are AWFUL, and so harmful to queer guys.

message 2: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Yes! Just.... everything you said. I cannot understand why this has so many 4 and 5 star reviews. I couldn’t even force myself to finish it (realised I would have ground my teeth down into stumps if I’d tried). You wonder if the writer has ever even met a queer person.

Steelwhisper Yes, precisely. It reads like a bunch of prejudices.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

*sanity prevails*

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews Thank you Steelwhisper. I may not always agree with you but I know I can count on your honest thoughts and opinions. I just read Dani’s review and she had the same issues. I’m surprised at other friend reviews that enjoyed this.

Steelwhisper Heh, thank you, Beth :) It's good to know others share my thoughts.

Beth doesn't write  enough reviews Steelwhisper wrote: "Heh, thank you, Beth :) It's good to know others share my thoughts."

Just the Banter that Dani quoted would have resulted in a thrown/broken iPad or an angry rant to the author and here if I had bought the book.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Steelwhisper Oh yes, I did :) Thank you.

message 9: by A.P. (new) - rated it 1 star

A.P. Moraez I just finished this book and almost cried/vomited. I don't understand why this writer is so popular. Maybe people just enjoy mediocre content. Idk. It's just sad.