Bex | TotallyBex.com's Reviews > Riot Street

Riot Street by Tyler  King

bookshelves: arc, smart-heroine

Riot Street begins as a typical contemporary romance: young woman graduates from college, works for peanuts, writes an essay that goes viral overnight, gets dream interview. But that’s where the similarities to anything you have read before ends and the story veers off the traditional and expected course.

The story of Avery and her journey as a journalist unfurls slowly with details dropped like tiny little bombs when you least expect them. Intelligently written, the prose is poetic without being flowery, and sparse yet full at the same time. I found the writing to be both unique and intriguing.

The main characters, Avery and Ethan, give good snarky banter and one-liners, which creates an excellent break in the heaviness of their past. There is a depth to the characters, but it doesn’t seem to be meant to endear them to you. Instead, there is a feeling of sterility to the story that makes it difficult to decide if you are rooting for Avery or if you're just going to be an innocent bystander as she self-destructs.

For both Avery and Ethan, moving on is difficult when vestiges of your old, almost forgotten life keep popping back up to ruin your day. Throughout the first half of the book, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. However, when it does, it wasn’t in the direction I thought it would go. Instead of Avery needing rescuing as I expected, it was Ethan who needed saving. Like I said, this book turns the expected on it's head.

Anxiety, desperation, loneliness, heartbreak, devastation, ambition, and ultimately, growth are all themes woven into the story--sometimes delicately and sometimes more harshly. If nothing else, this story kept me on my toes and flipping pages to get to the conclusion.

Tyler King is an author to watch because I think there will be great things to come from her in the future. I enjoyed the intricate storyline, the layers of the complexity in each of the characters, and the unexpected angles exposed throughout the story. I recommend Riot Street for anyone who likes a little suspense mixed with their drama and romance. Just leave your expectations at the door and plan to discover each of the intertwined layers of this story as they unfold.

ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review.

▸ Purchase: Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Kobo | iBooks | Nook

▸ For more reviews, visit http://www.nightowlreader.com
NightOwlReader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riot Street.

March 10, 2017 – Shelved
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
April 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 1, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
May 1, 2017 – Shelved as: smart-heroine

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Kramer I'm officially intrigued!

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle Fab review, Bex! Glad you enjoyed it ;)

message 3: by Bex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bex | TotallyBex.com I was definitely intrigued when I was reading it! The style is so unique and unlike anything I have read before. It's hard to explain!

Leigh wrote: "I'm officially intrigued!"

message 4: by Bex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bex | TotallyBex.com Thank you so much, Elle!! ❤️

Elle wrote: "Fab review, Bex! Glad you enjoyed it ;)"