Sonya Heaney's Reviews > The Bad Luck Bride

The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor

bookshelves: historical-romance, regency-era

Also posted HERE .

Even though this cover is about as historically inaccurate as most historical romance covers, something about it caught my attention. That, combined with the fact this book is by a debut author, and the start of a new series, had me intrigued.

The Bad Luck Bride starts off with an interesting scene, with the hero fighting a duel. It immediately drew me in.

However, the chapters following this were a little confusing, with both hero and heroine seeming to have conflicting interests, and with the introduction of an array of characters I couldn’t quite get straight in my mind.

There is a good book in here, but I found it to be a little messy. I wasn’t sure what was going on, and was confused by why the characters acted the way they did. The author clearly has some talent, but an editor should have worked a little harder to shave away the unnecessary side characters and conversations and drawn out the focus of the plot.

I was also pretty annoyed by the blatant Americanisms that started immediately and didn’t end – it’s AUTUMN, not “the fall”, and it is completely reasonable to expect authors and editors to know this. Also, “snuck” is not just a hideous word that is out of place in the Regency setting, but there is nothing British about it. The made-up Pembrooke was also distractingly similar to the real Pembroke.

I think that author Janna MacGregor is going to develop nicely as an author, but this book isn’t quite where I wanted it to be.

Review copy provided by NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Luck Bride.

March 10, 2017 – Started Reading
March 10, 2017 – Shelved
March 12, 2017 –
1.0% "Uh oh. I really want to like this one, but a couple of pages in and I'm already running into major Americanisms. There is no season called "the fall" - it's AUTUMN!"
March 21, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-romance