Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**'s Reviews > Shelter the Sea

Shelter the Sea by Heidi Cullinan

***4.25 Stars***

I didn't have to shelter the sea. I had to find the way to let the sea shelter me.

As you can see below by my thoughts before reading, I had some reservations about this book. Based on the blurb, I was worried this was going to be all about politics and not enough about romance. Well, I'm here to tell you that I was right and wrong.

This book isn't A romance, but it is a book WITH romance.

The romance isn't the central plot of this book, but it is a key component.

Emmet and Jeremey are trying to navigate their relationship, their disabilities, their futures...all while dealing with the possibility that The Roosevelt may have to be shut down. Not only that, but lots of mental health facilities are losing funding and the lives and resources for many are in limbo.

Watching Emmet, Jeremey and their crew come together to fight for a cause they so strongly believe in was amazing. They put their disabilities on full display and showed everyone that they too matter. No one should be hidden away because of a disability. Everyone matters, everyone is important, and everyone's voice should count.

"It's a big, impossible job, but you already know how to carry an ocean, so it's not such a big deal after all."

In the midst of all of this, Emmet and Jeremey are still navigating their relationship. Jeremey has hit a rough patch and is struggling with his depression and anxiety. Emmet and his big heart and analytical brain want nothing more than to help Jeremey.

I could see the two versions, the Jeremey who smiled and laughed and made love to me, and the Jeremey who disappeared into the darkness. I had to find a way to take care of them both, to show both parts of him my love.

And when Emmet sets his mind on something, there's no holding him back. He comes up with an idea of what may be just the thing Jeremey needs. The evolution of his project and the outcome had me a gooey sobbing mess while reading...but it was the best kind of mess.

Emmet's idea gives Jeremey the extra courage that he needs to really come into his own. To give him that little extra zap of confidence to see what other's saw in him....especially Emmet. He was able to see what his love really means to Emmet...not just to hear the words, but to feel them.

I can lift up this man...I can shine for him, keep him safe, keep him happy. I don't have many strengths, but I do have this.

So, as you can see....my fears were unfounded. If I would have skipped reading this book, I would have missed out on something really special.

This book touched on the fact that we all need each other. The world shouldn't be divided into an "us" and "them." We're all in this together. We should all be striving for kindness, understanding, inclusion....love.

-------------------------------------------

My thoughts before reading:

I LOVED Carry the Ocean and have been patiently waiting for word on the sequel...and now it's here. Except it makes me nervous.

Nothing in that blurb talks about romance or their relationship? I'm gonna wait for reviews before I pick this one up. I adore Jeremey and Emmet, but I'm a romance reader first and foremost, and I don't want to read a book about 100 other things simply because it has characters I love. Just my two cents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter the Sea.

March 10, 2017 – Shelved
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2017 – Started Reading
April 27, 2017 –
1.0% "I still have some reservations, but I'm going to give this a go. I've missed Emmet and Jeremey.

Image result for fingers crossed gif"
April 27, 2017 –
34.0% " "You're the one who makes noise during sex. Do you want me to do research on what kinds of sex will keep you quieter?"

I ADORE EMMET!!! ♥ ♥ ♥"
April 27, 2017 –
42.0% "The tears are a flowing....they're happy tears, but still...I'm a mess....at work no less. I'll never learn.

Image result for crying gif"
April 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 28, 2017 – Shelved as: mo-money-mo-problems
April 28, 2017 – Shelved as: paparazzi
April 28, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-na
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: feeeeels

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Jewel (last edited Mar 10, 2017 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jewel I think I'll be reading it this weekend, so I'll let you know.

.Lili. Keep us posted, Jewel, please. That blurb makes me nervous, too. It reminds me of book 3 of her dancing series. Too much of everything else and not enough romance.

Jewel .Lili. wrote: "Keep us posted, Jewel, please. That blurb makes me nervous, too. It reminds me of book 3 of her dancing series. Too much of everything else and not enough romance."

Yeah, that one was not my favorite ...

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Jewel wrote: "I think I'll be reading it this weekend, so I'll let you know.

Well...unless an ARC falls in my lap that I just have to read right the fuck now..."

Oooooh yes, yes!!! Please let me know either on here or DM. That blurb has me all kinds of nervous. I love Heidi's books and I'm a big fan, but there are times when they start to lean towards a little preachy with the "let me tell you how it should be," ya know? And I'm afraid that this will turn into something similar with disability issues. I'm hoping I'm dead wrong though and that's it's just as awesome as Carry the Ocean!

Jewel Yep, I know exactly what you mean...

Jewel Well..might be slightly longer to get to this one. I just got an ARC that I just have to read right the fuck now. Well, I am going to TRY to finish the book I'm reading, first.

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Jewel wrote: "Well..might be slightly longer to get to this one. I just got an ARC that I just have to read right the fuck now. Well, I am going to TRY to finish the book I'm reading, first."

The reading struggle is real!! She's not sure when she's releasing it to the masses so I can wait. You're doing me a solid anyway, so not like I can bitch about it LOL And ooooh what ARC did you get? I have 3 I need to read by the end of the month. Two MM (Vanessa North and JL Merrow) and one MF.

message 8: by Jewel (last edited Mar 10, 2017 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jewel I have Enemy Within! Man, I have been looking forward to it so much!

Yep, Heidi isn't sure when the release for Shelter the Sea will be, yet. It all depends on when she can gets the rights back for book 1. So, I know there is no real hurry to get this one read. I might want to skim book 1 one again, just to refresh my memory, as well.

Other than Enemy Within, I've only got one other ARC in my possession, and that is Surrender the Dark, which won't be out for a while, so no hurry there.

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Jewel wrote: "I have Enemy Within. Man, I have been looking forward to it so much!

Jewel Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A*** wrote: "Damnit...I need to start that series!! Why is there not enough time?!?!?! I hope you love it! "

Yes, you do need to read that series. Definitely. It's awesome!

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Don't you feel stupid too when you don't start a book because of your fears and then learn that you only wasted time fretting? XD Gah! I always feel like such a dumbass! Fab review, doll!

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Astrid - ☆Vanilla & Spice Books☆ wrote: "Don't you feel stupid too when you don't start a book because of your fears and then learn that you only wasted time fretting? XD Gah! I always feel like such a dumbass! Fab review, doll!"

YES!! It happens to me often...which really says more about me than it should LOL

Thanks, doll!! xx

message 13: by Judith (new)

Judith Terrific review,love,xx

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Judith wrote: "Terrific review,love,xx"

Thanks, hon!! xx

Rachel Reads Ravenously Great review JR! xoxo

message 16: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Mirjana! :)

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Rachel Reads Ravenously wrote: "Great review JR! xoxo"

Thanks, Rachel (even though I'm not sure if you've confused my name or are coming up with new nicknames for me LOL)

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Mirjana! :)"

Thanks, Aisling!! xx