Amanda Richardson's Reviews > The Bad Luck Bride

The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor

"The Bad Luck Bride" is a 4.5 star read. I loved the story line, the main characters and the secondary characters as well. Alexander's sister has died by her own hand and he is hell-bent on revenge against the man he believes is responsible for her downfall, a man who used to be one of his closest friends - Paul. Paul is engaged to marry an heiress, Claire, and Alex will do anything to stop the marriage and take her as a bride himself.
Claire is a bad luck bride. She has been engaged four times and still not made it to the altar. She is starting to believe that she will finally be married to Paul, when he sends a note breaking their engagement at their engagement ball. Claire is devastated, but Alex steps in with a plan - marry him instead and pretend that she ended the engagement with Paul and not the other way around. Under duress, she agrees and finds herself starting to believe that she may not be cursed in truth.
Of course Alex goes into the marriage with devious intentions, but not toward Claire, just her former fiancee. Alex is interesting, he wants justice for his sister and will stop at nothing to ruin Paul's life, but he is instantly attracted to Claire and wants a real marriage. Claire is a completely sympathetic character that readers will connect with, she has a great amount of pain and trauma from when she was a child and lost her parents in a carriage accident. She was honestly in love with her first fiancee and lost him to a fever, she has lost so many people close to her. She is not the ordinary simpering romantic heroine virgin. Claire is starting to fall for Alex as well until she finds out her marriage isn't based on attraction or decency, but based on revenge.
There is sparking chemistry between Alex and Claire and passion. "The Bad Luck Bride" is a lovely story that peels the layers back on its two characters, until we find out who they truly are and what they will become as a couple. This is the first book I have read by Janna MacGregor, but it won't be my last. I hope Alex's sister and his best friend will end up together and get their own story. Really, really enjoyed the book.

I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Luck Bride.

Started Reading