Debbie's Reviews > Revenge of the Lawn: Stories 1962-1970

Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan

Aug 02, 2011

Read from August 03 to 08, 2011

This is my first Brautigan book, I feel I should mention. It's hard to judge from one whether he's a writer that I will ever just "get," but right now I'm thinking probably not. However, I think I really enjoy his writing because it makes me feel delightfully off-balance. And I hope you'll join me in putting quite a lot of emphasis on that little "I think" there. I simply can't tell when he's making a direct metaphor, being deliberately ambiguous, toying with the reader, throwing weird things in for "funsies" or just being facetious and/or tragic. I might even be so bold as to say that Brautigan himself may not have known at the time. He has a tendency to deliver a conflicted jumble of tones, which leave me feeling tender, sad and amused, often among other emotions, all at once. And I find it very impressive that, although I am not a fan of short stories (I often find them unsatisfying in their lack of development), these vignette-level tastes of life, or something resembling it, are still completely enjoyable for me. I can't claim that I liked every story in this particular book, but some of the ones I loved more than made up for any that I just had to power through.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Lawn.

04/09 marked as: read