Vít Kotačka's Reviews > Living Clojure

Living Clojure by Carin Meier

Mar 31, 2017

bookshelves: sw-engineering, clojure, read-in-english

Enjoyable book for Clojure beginners

I met Carin (aka Gigasquid) on one of the (Middle) European Java conference and for me, she was the paramount of the gig. And because I'm returning to the Clojure after 5 years now, I grasped her book. It was a good choice.

In the beginning, Carin makes a good parallel - if you want to learn a new language, you should treat it like if you want to learn to run. It makes sense, you can't train for marathon in few weeks. Clojure is the same - you can learn the syntax and bunch of functions in couple of days. Maybe even a small project. But you won't stick. The biggest obstacle would be probably a mindset.

Start slowly, no rush. You can run like hell, like Alice in Wonderland, but you'll stay on the same spot. So, run slowly with perseverance and endurance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Clojure.

March 10, 2017 – Started Reading
March 10, 2017 – Shelved
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: sw-engineering
March 15, 2017 –
24.0% "Nice intro to the functional world of Clojure - lazy sequences, recursion and superpower of map & reduce."
March 19, 2017 – Shelved as: clojure
March 20, 2017 –
30.0% "Well written chapter about mutable state and concurrency. You know - Vars, Atoms, Refs and Agents."
March 23, 2017 –
42.0% "Relax chapters about Java interoperability and a simple Leiningen project."
March 28, 2017 –
62.0% "Chapters about clojure.async and web development. Especially the first one caught my attention."
March 31, 2017 – Finished Reading